What are the major liberal and conservative papers in Bs. As.?

La Nación: I guess you would call it conservative. It´s the oldest national newspaper and the only one with a (somewhat) clear editorial line. It´s usully pro free markets, agains government intervention, etc.

Clarín: The biggest. It is generally slightly left leaning, although it´s more based on marketing rather than ideology. It can be pro government or anti government regardless of ideology.

Pagina 12: Traditionally leftist newspaper. Now totally controlled by the government, so it´s mostly propaganda rather than journalism.

Is it possible to divide the major newspapers along these lines (probably with some overlap) and thus get some indication of where they stand?

1. newspapers supporting/read mainly by blue collar workers:
2. newspapers supporting/read mainly by lower middle class:
3. newspapers supporting/read mainly by middle middle class:
4. newspapers supporting/read mainly by upper middle class:
5. newspapers supporting/read mainly by the rich:

Not much. I guess readers of La Nación would be more of middle and high classes. Clarín is read by all. As for "lower" classes tabloid like newspapers like Cronica is a regular choice. Nobody reads Pagina 12.

so it´s mostly propaganda rather than journalism.
It depends on your definition of propaganda. Verbitsky´s investigations are good as ever, the cultural pages of Pagina/12 are top notch (also good with social issues), maybe avoid the Politics pages. "Clarin" is good to know what the Clarin Group wants, it lacks investigative journalism, but it tends to set the agenda of the week. "La Nacion" is THE conservative newspaper, but lately (with Clarin) is becoming a FOX News-lite. Journalism is in crisis everywhere (Ruppert Murdoch, grrr).

Verbitsky it´s the main propagandist of that newspaper. He hasn´t done any journalist investigation since the Ks took over. His job is to point, through his articles, who should the K militant attack this week. I´ll grant you the cultural pages are above average :p

Clarin also hasn´t done any real journalist investigations since the Ks took over. First because of mutual agreement with the government and now because they just suck.

Back