What Constitutes An Extraordinary Expense?

bobsnowpuppy

Registered
I just started a two-year rental contract. I received the expense bill for the first month. My contract says I'm not responsible for Extraordinary expenses - pretty common. Anyone have experience with what constitutes extraordinary versus ordinary expenses for an apartment rental in BA?

ordinary are the normal mothly expenses the consorcio needs to run things in the building, like electricity and window cleaner spray and the wages of the workers like the portero.
extraordinary are unusual (and sometimes big) expenses like repiping the building. it does vary a lot depending on what consorcio you get. like sometimes painting the building is considered ordinary or not.

Thank you.

What about all the legal fees for suing the owners who are not paying their monthly expenses? And what about repairs to individual apartments other than the one I am in?

In my building they are repairing a neighborhood apartment because it was flooded during a thunderstorm on last February and it is considered extraordinary. Suing a neighborhood and associated costs should be extraordinary, as well. Some consorcios divide expenses as Expensas A, B and C. A = ordinary, B = extraordinary, C = ??? Every building manager interprets stuff like they want. Where I am living now we are 2 owners and 20 tenants, so our building manager tend to favor owners. My landlord is a nice guy and he is open for discussion about what expenses are ordinary and extraordinary (he was himself a tenant in this building before buying one apartment), as our building manager tends to put everything under A (ordinary) to spare himself the hassle of thinking if every job was ordinary or extraordinary.

Besides the pretty straightforward criteria - is it periodic or not, I think you should also consider whether a periodic work has a frequency compatible with the length of a standard rental contract.
Some examples:
  • Burnt bulb on communal stairs = ordinary (wear and tear)
  • Lift maintenance = ordinary
  • Lift replacement = extraordinary (the lift will stay there longer than 2 years)
  • Accident like damages due to thunderstorm = extraordinary
  • Painting the building façade = extraordinary (done every 10 years, far longer period than a rental)
  • Plumbing = extraordinary
  • Legal expenses to sue a landlord = extraordinary

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
senoritalaurita Expat Life 0
Back