What do you like?

SaraSara- that's totally true! It's kind of like family......I can say that my Mum is a b1tch, but if anyone else does, then there will be hell to pay!

And now, I am relatively new to BA, so this is more of a newbie perspective.

I love that 99% of the time, local people are more than happy to chat to me in Spanish, even though my Spanish is pretty bad (but improving daily!)

I love that 99% of the time when I tell people that I am from Australia, that the first words out of their mouth are "Oooooh, canguro".

I love the horrified look on people's faces when my response is "Si, muchos canguros. Y en Australia, comemos los canguros".

I love how passionate Argentinians get about the smallest things. "This is the GREATEST cafe cortado that I have EVER had!" Or, depending on their mood of the day, "This is the WORST cafe cortado that I have EVER had!"

I love that people seem to be much more connected here. I have lost count of the number of times that local people have started up random conversations with me (and I must look at least a little portena, because I am always having people ask me for directions!). In any big city in Australia, if you are on a bus/train, then 90% of people will have an iPod on, and the other 10% will be looking out the window. It does happen sometimes, but not much chance of random chat.

I love that people kiss hello and goodbye here. It's very charming. I think I will probably scare some of my friends back home when I return by lunging in for a kiss to greet them!

I love that it is completely acceptable to get up on a dance floor by yourself here.

I love asados, but that is a bit of a no-brainer as I come from Australia- land of the BBQ. I also love empanadas, but hey- they're kind of like a meat pie, right? So let me just say that dulce de leche granizado ice-cream is the GREATEST thing that I have EVER tasted!

Finally, I have been delighted (and almost humbled) at the way that I have been welcomed here, both by locals and ex-pats alike.

i like:

-the park culture- sitting outside in the parks drinking mate and eating facturas on a beautiful day
-another for public transportation! i love people watching and the buses and subte are positive goldmines for interesting people
-asados, especially on terraces
-CHORIPAN
-how the men make comments as i walk past (not the dirty ones, though)
-chatty cabbies
-FUTBOL!!! i do wish girls were allowed to play more here, but it's always hilarious watching the boys i do play with realize that i'm better than half of them :)
-pone a francella (old show, watch it on youtube, it's great)
-fernet
-leisurely meals that take hours
-the climate, of course
-pretty men :)
-the fact that most people avoid going out in the rain and cold, etc (it just makes sense!)
-the greeting kiss, especially when it's two young guys saying hello...just try to imagine two dudes from the US kissing as nonchalantly as they do here...
-the language- beautiful castellano, complete with hand wagging, gesticulating, and rampant overuse of the words boludo, che, and mira

The private health care plans, doctors, and hospitals are pretty good and quite affordable(generally) compared to the U.S.(although it may seem expensive to people from countries with government run health care). It seems the government and the labor unions have left this sector of the economy alone which may account for the good quality, professionalism, and decent prices.

I like the way grown men greet each other with a kiss on the cheek.

Yesterday I was stopped at the traffic light in front of the Japanese garden. There were a few cabs waiting for passengers, and I saw a cabbie walk up the line to greet another cabbie. The two mustacchioed gentleman, beer-bellied and well into their sixties, greeted each other with a hug and a kiss on the cheek. Heartwarming.

I also like the fact that you don't have to hear a conversation to guess what's going on - just watch the gestures, and the body language.

I like the way Argentines can get together every Sunday, week after week, and never run out of things to talk about.

I like playing "truco" with people from other generations, or with perfect strangers in long train trips.

I like that Argentines collect jokes to tell at parties. In fact, I've heard the best jokes at wakes, all-night affairs here. Probably a way to release tension.

Nice list so far.

I love seeing people every where at all hours & I love people watching. I lived & worked in a village of 700 and I never saw anyone. And I love chatting with random people. At home people would just stare at me probably thinking "what is she talking to me?". Maybe they do that here too but at least it doesn't show on their faces. LOL.

I love the old houses. I work in one & I love that it's taller than it is wide. And I love when I get a peek into the gorgeous patios & roof terraces.

I love the helado (a bit too much).

I love those ginorous trees What are they called? Are the rhododendrons?

I love that everyone has a hobby and they are all creative & make things.

I love that all the great art and the not so great art. At least they are trying.

That's all for now.

PS, anyone have a site to learn truco?

What's your favorite ice cream mini ?

I have a running debate with a couple friends. I swear by Persicco and they swear by Freddo.

They once told me that Freddo was better because it is the original. As they explained it to me, the children of the owners of Freddo left their parents company to start their own company Persicco. So by their logic, they say it's better.

HOGWASH I tell you. I don't even know if that story is true. Lol.

They were probably just trying to win an argument.

I love that you can order kilos of ice cream and sushi at midnight every day of the week

I know, soy un gordo ::D

AlexfromLA said:
What's your favorite ice cream mini ?

I have a running debate with a couple friends. I swear by Persicco and they swear by Freddo.

They once told me that Freddo was better because it is the original. As they explained it to me, the children of the owners of Freddo left their parents company to start their own company Persicco. So by their logic, they say it's better.

HOGWASH I tell you. I don't even know if that story is true. Lol.

They were probably just trying to win an argument.

I love that you can order kilos of ice cream and sushi at midnight every day of the week

I know, soy un gordo ::D

From what I heard the Freddo family sold the company to some corporation. Then a couple of the kids split & one opened Persico & the other Un Alta Volta. Of the three I like Volta best.

But my two favorites right now are
=Fratello there is one on C.Diaz & one on Medrano. I"ve actually never been there I've only order from them) &
=Vanshelado (or something like that on S.Ortiz & Honduras or it could be Goritti).

Freddo used to be great until it was bought by Exxel, the Argentine investment firm. I've been told the new owners ran it into the ground, coasting on Freddo's reputation to sell third-rate ice cream at premium prices. Once the company was milked dry, it was sold, I don't know to whom. Freddo is once again good though, in my opinion, not as good as before Exxel eviscerated it.

I understand the same thing happened to Havanna alfajores - now they are good again.

Where is Persicco? Never heard of it.

I like mate too :)
JoeBlow said:
Mate.
Fernet and Coke.
Mate.
Rúcula and radicheta.
Mate.
Once you break the ice, far fewer assholes than in the US.
Mate.
Hecho en Buenos Aires (the magazine).
Mate.
There isn't rancid elitism and racism (unlike those other Latin American countries).
Mate.
There's a middle class (unlike those other Latin American countries).
Did I mention mate?
Gay marriage.
La ley de medios (don't know what the deal is on that though).

Volta is pretty good too. I usually order from the one on Coronel Diaz. The problem with them is they close early, like 11 pm I think.

SaraSara said:
Where is Persicco? Never heard of it.

The Persicco I usually go to is the one in Las Canitas or technically La Imprenta.

http://www.persicco.com/

I like walking there late at night, like 1-2 am just go get some ice cream. It's the best.

;)

Back