What Food From Your Home Country Did The Argentinians Ruin?

Girino

Registered
Recently I was chatting with a girl from Madrid complaining how the Argentinian tortilla is nothing close to the real Spanish tortilla. She said the original recipe accounts only for eggs, potatoes and oil. FYI, she was talking about this stuff here.

I don't know where to start on the Italian cuisine as they call it here... they overdo with everything, odd pizzas as tick as cakes topped with a finger-thick layer of queso which is very far from the subtle flavour of the Italian mozzarella (don't get me started on the Argentinian mozzarella, please).
Their idea of pasta is limited to ravioli, and today I was offered cannelloni which where really omelettes filled with onion and spinaches, plus tomato sauce and queso, etc.

Except for the asado, nothing is simple here. Everything is overcomplicated - it's like The Simpsons meet Latin America.

I can't stand overcooked pasta. It's an insult. Considering you're italian, it must be much worse. They butcher every Italian word too. Wait until you want to get some lasagna.

I've seen desecrated wraps, pies, and the worst... hamburgers with ham, eggs and mayo. OMG. Eating fries with a fork. Covering a brownie in dulce de leche. Coming up with some concoction like empanada or pizza and calling it Americana.

Whisky

2HGM8sS.jpg

On a related note, Ireland, India, Wales and Japan all make some nice stuff and i heard Canada has a new one thats supposed to be good.

I'm going to answer for Hybrid-san: Sushi with cream cheese.
I'm going to answer for Frenchie: Medialunas
I'm going to answer for Thorsten: Beer
I'm going to answer for the Unknown Mexican forum member: All items of Mexican food except flour tortillas.

They butcher every Italian word too.

I went to a place where they make pasta stuff *their* Italian way and there was absolutely nothing spelled correctly.
From fettuchini (fettuccine) to fussili (fusilli), to ñoquis (gnocchi), talgiatelle (tagliatelle) and linguini (linguine)

Plus the sauces... what the hell is a salsa filetto?! I thought it was some kind of meta sauce (ragù), but it turned out it is simple tomato sauce with garlic.

I saw a clothing store called "Porko Trio" which sounds very alike to "porco dio" - I don't dare to translate this, it is blasphemous! You can check them out on Facebook, too.

I can't stand overcooked pasta. It's an insult.

I haven't yet had the pleasure... They call pasta what we call ravioli (which is filled pasta), and they even put heavy sauces on top.

Yesterday I had "sorrentinos" (another stuff we don't have in Italy) with meat sauce and mushroom. Three dishes in one.
Took me hours to digest. I bless Americans for inventing Coke.

And talking about Coke... forget the Fernet with coke, I tried to get drunk on that and ended up with visiting the toilet more often, only. (Btw: we don't drink Fernet with Coke, it's unheard of!) Basically, they even ruined Coke.

If you think the food is bad here go to Uruguay. I bought some spaghetti that if you accidentally overcooked it by a few minutes it literally turned into paste - maybe that's why they call it pasta. I bought a can of Uruguayan tuna which was closer to a tuna soup. In a restaurant I had spaghetti with pesto sauce unlike any pesto sauce I had before - it was adulterated with onions and fried egg and a tiny amount of pesto sauce all for $10 dollars.

Back