What'$ Happening In Bueno$ Aire$ ?

fred mertz

Registered
Not too long ago, I was under the impression that everything was coming up roses with the BA economy.
Didn't we read on this forum that someone said that the exchange rate would be $20. to US$1.00. Yesterday, I got $14.20 to US$1.00
Inflation is 40%. Mayb the name of this country should be Argenuela?
Today, I paid $19.00 for 1 red pepper at a produce store. Gift wrap extra.
The number of people asking for money on the streets is skyrockettng.
Pretty soon,people will have to make reservations to secure a doorway in which to spend a night.
Public transportation fares have doubled.
Cigarette prices have gone up. Well, that's good !
When will they repair the horrible sidewalks and curbs, that have people's lives at risk?
I'm sure many wonder about the crime rate in BA?. In my barrio Recoleta-South, between Cerrito and Callao, a great number (most?) stores have installed grating on their doors and windows. Many have installed metal garage door across the entire front of their establishments

Have a nice day.

Wrote this is February and was heavily criticized:

"[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Which I agree with. Argentina is coming from such a low baseline that the simple fact it stop digging it's own hole should bring noticeable improvement.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]My problem with him is that he is show all of the traits of the typical South American demagogue. It started with the sale of the presidential plane, the announcement that he would be using regular public hospitals (with caveats) and now this whole drug war rhetoric. I've heard it all before, from several previous leaders here in South America. His demeanor and discourse particularly reminds me of Fernando Collor de Melo, the Brazilian president that was impeached by Congress in the early 90s.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]By ordering the air force to shoot down unarmed aircraft out of the sky, he is clearly demonstrating that he does not care much for the rule of law and due process. Even, and specially, if it is all theatrics he then demonstrates that he is trying to position himself as the strong man/caudillo leader that the locals seem to adore and embrace so much.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Finally, the deal with the vulture funds seems to me to indicate that what he wants is not deep structural reforms in Argentina, but to simply gain access to the world's credit markets in order to replace the existing printing/inflation model of dealing with government deficits with the borrow abroad model of dealing with government deficits. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Again, I've seen it all before, many times. Is he better than Cristina? Sure! But he seems to bring nothing new to the table, other than the same old vices from the South American business oligarchy that we have grown so tired of in the last several decades. [/background]

My water bill on a non metered apartment/building went from $89 to $389 pesos...!! for the same period.

Wake up this is not Macri - this is the result of having Kirchner in charge for such a long period. The things you mentioned did not change in a few months - they have been growing and getting worse for years.

Wrote this is February and was heavily criticized:

"[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Which I agree with. Argentina is coming from such a low baseline that the simple fact it stop digging it's own hole should bring noticeable improvement.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]My problem with him is that he is show all of the traits of the typical South American demagogue. It started with the sale of the presidential plane, the announcement that he would be using regular public hospitals (with caveats) and now this whole drug war rhetoric. I've heard it all before, from several previous leaders here in South America. His demeanor and discourse particularly reminds me of Fernando Collor de Melo, the Brazilian president that was impeached by Congress in the early 90s.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]By ordering the air force to shoot down unarmed aircraft out of the sky, he is clearly demonstrating that he does not care much for the rule of law and due process. Even, and specially, if it is all theatrics he then demonstrates that he is trying to position himself as the strong man/caudillo leader that the locals seem to adore and embrace so much.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Finally, the deal with the vulture funds seems to me to indicate that what he wants is not deep structural reforms in Argentina, but to simply gain access to the world's credit markets in order to replace the existing printing/inflation model of dealing with government deficits with the borrow abroad model of dealing with government deficits. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Again, I've seen it all before, many times. Is he better than Cristina? Sure! But he seems to bring nothing new to the table, other than the same old vices from the South American business oligarchy that we have grown so tired of in the last several decades. [/background]

You were right. Marci is definitely doing a better job than Cristina - no doubt. He has already implemented some long needed changes and other improvements are in the works. But it is not the fundamental policy change that many of us were hoping for. I also agree with you that he is still protecting what you call the "South American business oligarchy" instead of the urgently needed economic liberalization.

I also agree with you that he is still protecting what you call the "South American business oligarchy" instead of the urgently needed economic liberalization.

That is one point, but it goes beyond that. Argentina needs deep constitutional and institutional reforms, and none of that is part of Marci's platform.
The way civil servants are hired and promoted needs to fundamentally change. There needs to be profound political reforms. The entire judiciary system needs to be overhauled.
And Macri should be leading the charge on the call for those reforms. Instead, he advocate cosmetic reforms, which demonstrates once again that he is nothing but a return to the norm, to the status quo of the pre-Ks years.

Somewhereinba is point on.Kirchnerism and or Peronism has done it.
In Argentina you can not come down like a ton of bricks in 4 months and make those very necessary fundamental changes.Not only the unions but also the majority of Argentines will reject them outright.For the most part these are a people who look to the past and would like to live in the past because they are risk averse to an extreme.
Macri knows that and I believe his timing is not that far off.

I'm not sure what people thought would happen in 4 months?! Did people really believe Argentina would undergo huge changes immediately? I will be shocked if there are fundamental changes in then next 4 years. As noesdeayer said, this is a culture where changes happen sloooooooooooowly (when they happen at all).

As for the cost increases - they are way, way overdue. They suck but honestly, they are needed. There is no money to make the necessary changes to the infrastructure which are desperately needed and beyond that, people need to learn. My electricity was almost 5K last month. I'm not happy but you know what, it certainly has encouraged all of us to make sure lights are getting turned off, etc.

ETA - And honestly, as someone who lives in pesos, the price increase have been hurting for years. It's just that with the blue rate going away, some are finally feeling the pain that peso earners have experienced for the last 5+ years.

And Macri should be leading the charge on the call for those reforms. Instead, he advocate cosmetic reforms, which demonstrates once again that he is nothing but a return to the norm, to the status quo of the pre-Ks years.

Well put! Cosmetic reforms.

I'm not sure what people thought would happen in 4 months?!

Something like the beginnings of a discussion about fundamental reforms, even if it takes years to implement. A draft of a roadmap for change. Or is even that too much to ask for?

Back