What happens if I bring an iPhone?

ricky_v

Registered
What happens if I bring an iPhone into Argentina as US citizen? Will they tax me on it? Or does that only apply to Argentines.

Thanks.

I never declared my iPhone when I entered the country.

Nobody checked the forms we filled out on the plane coming from JFK.

Maybe a handful of people were checked because they had big items but other than that, there were no iPhone police.

Your Mileage May Vary.

In over 30 arrivals I've never been checked for my cell phones. Only once for my PC, and that was because I had it boxed up like new to move it.

If you bring in multiple phones, cameras, etc, you'll probably get extra attention.

Again, YMMV

Last time I came, I put my backpack through the scanner. It had my laptop, camera, and iPod in it at least. I'm guessing my phone was in my pocket, but I don't remember. A worker pulled me to the side, asked where I was from and for my passport, and what I was doing in Argentina. The entire exchange took about a minute and I was on my way with no problems.

I had some friends and family come in later, with the same sort of stuff, and they said no one said a word to them. Put the iPhone in your pocket, and they'll never bother you, unless something sets you off (trying to bring in tons of electronics, especially anything new).

Do all Iphones from US work in Argentina?

Iphone's 3 can be unlocked to accept any local SIM, the cost is $250 pesos. Iphone's 4 could not be unlocked ...? (by my contact)
GSM phones are Ok , CDMA technology does not work in Argentina

Any new ideas?

Only the iphones from AT&T if it's unlocked it should work.

Iphone's 4 sometimes can be unlocked if you call to AT&T, but it depends, now there is a factory unlock from applenberry but it costs $150 and it's new, just realeased 2 days ago and I think is only for AT&T iphones, but it's like a factory unlock so it's much better than software unlock

Back