What happens to a permanent residency when you leave for good?

Renoir

Registered
Hi all!
I have an immigration question. I am a permanent resident. But, I'm leaving Argentina for good next week. What happens with my residency? I heard someone say that if you come at least once every 2 years it will stay vigente. Any advice on the matter? I probably won't be living here again and have no desire to go to immigrations to ask about this, and there site doesn't seem to address it.

Thanks!

Renoir said:
Hi all!
I have an immigration question. I am a permanent resident. But, I'm leaving Argentina for good next week. What happens with my residency? I heard someone say that if you come at least once every 2 years it will stay vigente. Any advice on the matter? I probably won't be living here again and have no desire to go to immigrations to ask about this, and there site doesn't seem to address it.

Thanks!

To retain your permanent residency, you have to enter the country once every two years. If you fail to do so, your permanent residency is rendered useless and you have to go through the process all over again (if you wished to do get permanent residency again).

If you won't be living in Argentina again why would you want to keep it?

Is there some advantage to it?

Yes you must come back once every two years. Has anyone done this - returned after a long absence like that? What was the reaction of migraciones?

Bajo_cero2 said:
When you come back, the day after you can apply for citizenship as soon as once you become an inhabitant, there is no law that establishes how you loose that status (Supreme Court).
Regards
So there is no law which demands presence in the country once you are granted citizenship? I suppose if you were out of Argentina you can even renew your Argentine passport at any foreign embassy/consulate? Or is the passport something that is only issued in Argentina? I know the issuance of passports has recently changed and is no longer done by the Federal Police.

surfing said:
So there is no law which demands presence in the country once you are granted citizenship? I suppose if you were out of Argentina you can even renew your Argentine passport at any foreign embassy/consulate? Or is the passport something that is only issued in Argentina? I know the issuance of passports has recently changed and is no longer done by the Federal Police.

Under the military dictatorship you used to lose your citzenship if you were out of the country for a certain amount of time (can't remember how long), but that law does not apply anymore. But I have a feeling Bajo_cero2 was talking about losing permanent residence.

Renoir its quite simple, if you plan leave forever, then you can lose your citisenship in your hle and forget the questions.

surfing said:

No, I clarify it.

Once you have the 2 years of living in Argentina (nobody cares your legal status) you can apply for citizenship. If you leave the country for long time and you come back to live here again, then you already have the 2 years.

Once you are Argentine, that´s it. You can leave for 99 years and you still are Argentine because to have a citizenship is a right.

Regards

Back