What happens to elderly who lack family/resources to care for them?

Most of the elderly people I know are cared for by their families - there's generally a relative (close or distant) willing to live with them. Putting eldery relatives in a nursing home is viewed as shameful for the family, and putting one's parents in one is a mortal sin.

We provide support to all older adults who, for different reasons, require assistance and accompaniment.

We have programs for seniors who are self-validated or with a low level of dependency, in situations of social vulnerability or without medical coverage. Through them, we seek to improve their quality of life.

According to their needs, older people can access different services and establishments, which range from admission in a permanent residence home to other alternative systems.

http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/desarrollohumanoyhabitat/personasmayores/apoyoyservicios
---------

In these spaces we provide comprehensive assistance to older adults who lack housing, social coverage and are in a situation of social vulnerability, lacking family support and / or without a containment network.

In homes of permanent residence we offer accommodation for the elderly in open-door spaces with integral attention. The daily needs of the elderly are met in a comprehensive and continuous manner, promoting and increasing the quality of life and avoiding situations of marginalization and social exclusion.

It requires the consent of the elderly person to be lodged and the commitment of their relatives to collaborate in the welfare of the elderly and participate with the institution that provides the benefit.

http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/desar...apoyoyservicios/hogaresderesidenciapermanente
---------------------

We provide free gerontological services for elderly people in situations of social vulnerability.

The Domiciliary and Hospital Gerontological Assistant Service offers free home care for elderly people living in poverty and social vulnerability, residents in the City, where technicians trained and accredited by the Home Care Service for Older Persons provide hours of gerontological assistance at home Of the interested.

The service grants subsidies to elderly people in situations of poverty or social vulnerability in the form of home gerontological assistance hours. The services are renewed annually, after evaluation by a social worker who is part of the technical team of the program.

http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/desarrollohumanoyhabitat/personasmayores/apoyoyservicios/agdh
------------------------
Contacto

My 83 year old mother in law who lives alone has a carer due to my wife being a busy woman. Fortunately for my wife she's 100% reliable and trustworthy which is reflected in the salary she gets paid....far above the normal rate for the job. She works eight hours a day in two shifts Mon-Sat. Without her a good private care home would have to be found which I suspect is easier said than done.

The non private ones look dreadful.

Most of the elderly people I know are cared for by their families - there's generally a relative (close or distant) willing to live with them. Putting eldery relatives in a nursing home is viewed as shameful for the family, and putting one's parents in one is a mortal sin.

All rather melodramatic.

My 83 year old mother in law who lives alone has a carer due to my wife being a busy woman. Fortunately for my wife she's 100% reliable and trustworthy which is reflected in the salary she gets paid....far above the normal rate for the job. She works eight hours a day in two shifts Mon-Sat. Without her a good private care home would have to be found which I suspect is easier said than done.

The non private ones look dreadful.

I've been in a couple of the private ones and they were satisfactory. BABS, the one favored by Anglo Argentines in Devoto, looked very respectable to me. Home care can be expensive even here. I have a friend who has teams of carers 24/7 + others who work weekends and holidays to take care of his aged mother. He owns his own business and is well off but even he says it is a financial strain. Few people could afford to do what he does for his mother.

Nikad, Thank you for the link on reverse mortgages. That could lead to a possible solution for our situation.

Couldn't agree more!

The Anglo-Argentine community did not consider BABS (British-American Benevolent Society retirement home) to be a shameful place, nor did they feel ashamed that many of their elderly live at BABS when they invited Princess DIana to visit and have tea with the residents. Apparently Diana did not see the "mortal sin shame" in it either. Granted, there are poor returement homes but to paint a picture with such a broad brush is unfair.

IMHO, the Anglo Argentine community is largely Anglo in their behavior. I'm talking about Argentines who don't belong in any particular community - just plain garden-variety Argentines.

To UK Man, who found my comments "melodramatic": that was just Argentine humor. Sorry you missed it.

The Anglo-Argentine community are those descended from British immigrants - that could be people who emigrated well over a century ago. They are fully integrated, fully bilingual and consider themselves Argentine but they also retain some use of their ancestral language and culture but I wouldn't say that they are the same as people in Britain today. There are many ethnic groups in Argentina. I don't see how this excludes them from the mainstream. Does the Jewish community get excluded? I understand they too have a very good retirement community.

Back