What Is Exactly Mercado Libre?

Ceviche

Registered
And how it functions.

How close it it to Amazon.

Can someone enlighten me, please?

is like ebay.
you can buy o sell stuff there. they only charge the seller. you need to register before you buy and/or sell

Mercado Libre functions much like ebay. A commission is charged to the seller after confirmation of payment received.

Sellers offer goods and services for sale at either a fixed price or in an auction (subasta) with a preset base price. Duration of auctions can vary from one day to two weeks and items offered at a fixed price may be listed for up to 60 days.

Click on my signature below (Argentine art for sale) to see my current listings on Mercado Libre.

steveinbsas said:
Click on my signature below (Argentine art for sale) to see my current listings on Mercado Libre.

Can't see your signature.

It's a paying billboard. They will take no responsibility or provide assistance if things go south. They're only in it for the money.

Zappa121.jpg

I've sold a good number of items on Mercado Libre and it's worked well for me. I used to sell things here and there on E-bay back when I lived in the USA and that worked well for me too. If you are honest, and upfront and describe your merchandise in full detail with pictures, and ask fair prices you will do well. MercadoLibre was really great for me when I closed down my retail shop, I sold EVERYTHING from the shelves, air conditioner, counter, etc. I don't know how I would have sold those things if it weren't for MercadoLibre. I highly recommend using MercadoPago to avoid having to exchange cash in hand. It's much safer.

I've never used the "Ebay of Argentina" but my friends use it all the time. One thing they love about it is they typically always just buy from people that are also right in the Capital and they can see the merchandise before they pay for it or as they pay for it.

Many times things are still in the box they tell me.

My husband uses MercadoLibre quite a bit... from buying sports equipment to windows and doors. He's also sold a few items. It's usually the first place he checks when comparison shopping.

Many of the people advertising on MercadoLibre have an actual store while others sell from their home or through post. My husband at times has checked the seller's other merchandise and makes an offer on the cheapest thing they're selling, to get the contact information and to help the seller out. Sometimes the seller will give you a discount for doing that.

p.s

it's actually owned by ebay now.

One thing I could never figure out is how to search for a two or more word phrase. It just returns it like a "OR" query searching for one word or the other.

And +1 on watching out for transactions on there. It's very different to ebay.

Mostly it's a cash on delivery or go and collect. Nothing like the ebay remote send you might be used to. I've tried to pay via Mercadopago and get them to send it and I've never managed to get anyone to do it.

Also the reputation system doesn't work properly. Sellers do what they can to build rep but all the time people with no rep click buy and then don't collect leaving the seller to pick up the bill. Sometimes because of this and the fees people try to workout outside the system using Mercadolibre as a brief advert for a bigger shop and hoping for repeat sales.

You only get the sellers contact details after you click buy so you only have a rough idea of where they will be; i.e. cap federal.

All in all a shoddy system that just about works.

Back