What is your status while waiting for citizenship application to be processed?

I have a few questions in relation to the MERCOSUR agreement.
  1. Does this apply to naturalized citizens as well? Or only people born in one of the countries? I ask because some places like Spain, who says you can become a citizen in only 2 years if you have citizenship in any Latin country (except Brazil), exclude naturalized citizens from that right.
  2. When you choose to live in another country through the MERCOSUR agreement, do you just go around with your normal passport as your ID? Or do you obtain ID from the other country?
Spanish citizenship in 2 years only applies to those born in certain Latin American countries. Not naturalized citizens of these countries who must follow the regular process which includes renouncing all previous citizenships.

I have a few questions in relation to the MERCOSUR agreement.
  1. Does this apply to naturalized citizens as well? Or only people born in one of the countries? I ask because some places like Spain, who says you can become a citizen in only 2 years if you have citizenship in any Latin country (except Brazil), exclude naturalized citizens from that right.
  2. When you choose to live in another country through the MERCOSUR agreement, do you just go around with your normal passport as your ID? Or do you obtain ID from the other country?
Wow, you seem extremely ambitious. You don't even have the Argentina residency as yet.

Spanish citizenship in 2 years only applies to those born in certain Latin American countries. Not naturalized citizens of these countries who must follow the regular process which includes renouncing all previous citizenships.

You just repeated what I said. But to give context to your second point, you would still have dual citizenship with Spain (basically). If a US citizen gets citizenship in Spain, they have to "renounce" their US citizenship "in Spain." BUT doing this will not renounce your citizenship in the U.S... Spain will just not recognize your US citizenship, but the US will still recognize it. Therefore, you will still have "dual" citizenship. I just need a lawyer who can magically get around the whole naturalized deal breaker, which likely isn't possible lol. So that just means Spain isn't in my plan.

You just repeated what I said. But to give context to your second point, you would still have dual citizenship with Spain (basically). If a US citizen gets citizenship in Spain, they have to "renounce" their US citizenship "in Spain." BUT doing this will not renounce your citizenship in the U.S... Spain will just not recognize your US citizenship, but the US will still recognize it. Therefore, you will still have "dual" citizenship. I just need a lawyer who can magically get around the whole naturalized deal breaker, which likely isn't possible lol. So that just means Spain isn't in my plan.
In Spain you need to provide evidence you have renounced your other citizenship(s) before being granted a Spanish passport once granted nationality. I explored this path when I was a Spanish resident. In short, getting Argentine citizenship won’t help if one has their sights set on Spain/ EU. Better just to buy yourself EU residence and citizenship in Portugal if you do - which also offers big tax advantages.

I was using Spain as an example of how countries still treat citizenship differently. I don't have plans of getting Spain citizenship. It wouldn't be good to get one from Europe buy I don't know of any "easy" routes. Unless you're spending at least a million I see no shortcuts or countries in the EU where you can get it in less than 5 years

For those potentially interested (on the loose subject of weighing up nationality and residency around the world) there are a few programs in the EU where one can spend less than €500k to get residency which pretty much gives you all the benefits of citizenship in terms of travel, work and residency to and within the bloc. Portugal, Greece and even Spain come to mind. After 5 years you can naturalize in countries like Portugal without needing to actually spend much time there in order to sell your investments freely and not need to worry about renewals etc.

In terms of a passport portfolio Argentina is good addition because it often opens up doors to visa-free travel to countries more difficult for many western citizens including Iran and Russia. Not to mention easier residence (but not citizenship) requirements within MERCOSUR...well, as long as that lasts...

Although for $250k invested in property Turkey offers citizenship within 2 months and is ranked the same as Argentina

For those potentially interested (on the loose subject of weighing up nationality and residency around the world) there are a few programs in the EU where one can spend less than €500k to get residency which pretty much gives you all the benefits of citizenship in terms of travel, work and residency to and within the bloc. Portugal, Greece and even Spain come to mind. After 5 years you can naturalize in countries like Portugal without needing to actually spend much time there in order to sell your investments freely and not need to worry about renewals etc.

In terms of a passport portfolio Argentina is good addition because it often opens up doors to visa-free travel to countries more difficult for many western citizens including Iran and Russia. Not to mention easier residence (but not citizenship) requirements within MERCOSUR...well, as long as that lasts...

Although for $250k invested in property Turkey offers citizenship within 2 months and is ranked the same as Argentina

That's not a bad deal for Turkey. Basically buy a house in cash and get citizenship.

Also, those have to be covid related passport figures. Argentinas passport is much stronger than the Turkish passport. Overall the numbers are down on all those just for covid. Remember, Japan has strongest passport at 190 countries. The current list has Germany number 1 at 135.

The Spanish system is one of the most complex in the world, i was surprised when I read your reply.
I’m going to double check as soon as I have access to my library (I just moved, all my books are in boxes).

Back