What items would you bring to the US?

cq.argentina

Registered
I would like to bring things from Argentina to the US. Besides mate and dulce de leche, what items [food (non-perishable), drinks, or gifts] would you bring to someone that has never been to Argentina?

Maybe alpargatas? (They'd work best when accompanied by a story about how they are the original TOMS.)

This is admittedly along the lines of dulce de leche, but alfajores where a big hit with some folks back in the US. The gift packs look nice.

If you bring Mate, a basic gourd and bombilla might be a nice accompanying gift. It's sold in health food stores in the US in tea bags and not thus not served in the traditional way. They get a little something to put on their shelf after too.

Soccer fans might love some gear from down here in Argentina, especially if it's the local version of gear for a famous player. Think the Messi jersey for the seleccion nacional. Could be a longshot, but an increasing number of Americans love el futbol. Maybe a cool looking soccer ball for a sporty teenager.

I hit the Feria de San Telmo a while back and picked up little Alpaca earrings and bracelets from some of the stores a bit off the map in the more charming galerias, I want to say 20 pesos each or something, and they were a big hit.

I'd also second the wine suggestion, although there are limits on importation and it is of course quite heavy.

I bring Fernet and Hesperdina, Wine, Mate, Mate cups and bombillas,

metal boxes of candy from one of the candy stores on Corrientes (I know, the chocolate isnt the greatest, but the retro boxes and the selections inside are crowd pleasers),
carpincho items- slippers are great, but any carpincho is odd and unexpected.

I bring CD's of local music, particularly the modern tango stuff like Gotan Project and Bajofondo.

Modern White porcelain Pinguino wine pitchers from Calma Chica.

Little fancy journals from Papelera Palermo.

Books about Buenos Aires- the Collectivos book or the Stencil Graffiti books are both interesting and show a side of the city foreigners dont imagine.
http://www.amazon.ca/Libro-Colectivos-Buenos-Aires-City/dp/9508891149
books about filete, la boca, and the history of buenos aires are other ones I like to show people.

metal boxes of candy from one of the candy stores on Corrientes---> do you know any place in particular?
As for Hesperdina...does it taste like anything I could have tried?

For something non-edible, a cafetera italiana could be cool. I plan to take one home with me to the U.S. when I move back. They take up much less space and are easier to clean than a big, cumbersome coffee pot, plus they're just cool. I've seen them in large and small sizes at the indoor market in San Telmo, although I'm sure they're everywhere.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafetera (the first item pictured)

English page with better pictures; apparently these are called moka pots in English. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

Funny story, I asked an American-Argentine couple back home if they wanted me to bring anything back for them from the husband's homeland. He said no thanks, that he could get all the Argentine vino, dulce de leche, mate and alfajores he wanted at Central Market, and fernet at the liquor stor! He said the only things he would really want can't be carried on the plane--bife de chorizo and helado. :p

For something non-edible, a cafetera italiana could be cool. I plan to take one home with me to the U.S. when I move back. They take up much less space and are easier to clean than a big, cumbersome coffee pot, plus they're just cool. I've seen them in large and small sizes at the indoor market in San Telmo, although I'm sure they're everywhere.

You can get a Moka pot (either Bialetti or bobo brand) anywhere in the US, and for much cheaper than in Argentina.

Ive taken back picture books of the country. They are full of great fotos and make good coffee table books. Most are in english and spanish.

I try to find wines that are not exported to the US ( its a small list) and bring them back

Back