What Keeps You In Argentina?

gsi16386

Registered
There have been numerous posts in regards to this prior, but I'm interested in hearing expat thoughts on how they feel in today's environment. What really keeps you in Argentina that you can't find in your native country?

I myself no longer live in BA, but my fiance still lived down there and we're going through the Visa process to get her here to the US, so I still have ties to BA. I'm really interested to hear what really keeps those from going back home as the situations in Argentina get more and more dire...

My husband and our comfortable (for now) financial situation here. :) The family business is here and if we were to move to the US it'd be a huge adjustment for him (the language, finding a job, etc.) We do have plans to move to the US at some point, though and people speak more Spanish than English in South Florida, so we might be alright. ;) It's making the jump that's kinda scary.

I would even be willing to move to Spain, but finding financial stability there seems nearly impossible... plus it gets a little more complicated as far as paperwork is concerned.

my husband, who also owns his own business here, and knock on wood is doing great! also his daughters from a previous marriage (7 and 11) which he shares custody of 50% 50% and i love dearly! if not for those girls, we'd be off to Canada living and working in the mountains snowboarding and eating maple sirup all day long!

This keeps me in Argentina:
jez-albums-bariloche-picture772-bariloche-view-apartments-rental.jpg

jez said:
This keeps me in Argentina:
jez-albums-bariloche-picture772-bariloche-view-apartments-rental.jpg

Well i like the fast way things tend to happen here, is good to make buy and sell in the shares market if you are into it ;) (well not only in shares market)
I like the city and i love Patagonia and mendoza regions, i don't find it as bad and as dangerous as the people in this forum say, if you take some safety precautions you are ok. And i certainly like the people here and the feeling.
One thing people in this comunity have to understand is that Buenos Aires is not Argentina and is not the same thing. Still i really like Buenos Aires to but i really like to go inside the country i found it nicer in every sense

Eclair said:
though and people speak more Spanish than English in South Florida, so we might be alright. quote] Where from in South Florida? We came from Hollywood. My husband is from Argentina and he found it extremely annoying to talk spanish there and preferred English.

Anyway, we are staying here (in Bariloche) because well we would have to go back to all the same reasons we left. Have 2 full time jobs we hate to never see our children and barely be able to pay the bills. We complain about the prices here, but honestly we are surviving on just 1 paycheck. So we are doing better here. We are building a house and the views are beautiiful. My children can run around and be free to be kids and in Florida they couldn't go out the front door without supervision. So for now we stay happily : )

"What really keeps you in Argentina that you can't find in your native country?"

The love of my life, my Argentine husband, and also his wonderful, extended family here in Buenos Aires.

Despite the inevitable difficulties and complications that one encounters living here, I know that I could potentially go anywhere in the world, but I would never find what is so valuable to me that I have right here.

I do have a lovely Argie boyfriend but it's not the only reason I'm here... I like the people, the culture, the way of life. I like their concept of time and how they enjoy things much more deeply than anyone I know in America. Since the first time I lived abroad (originally from California), something just didn't sit right for me about the USA. The car culture, the credit system, the competition and value on degrees and status symbols... People are more humble here. USA is supposed to be #1, but it fails miserably. Argentina doesn't try to say it's the best in anything (except meat and polo) and they try to talk it down a lot; so my response is, "it's really not so bad. it's kind of great." The political and economic situations are the worst things about it. The crime, well I haven't been a victim (yet). And the rudeness, I haven't experienced it. I am nice to everyone and they are nice back. If people are rude I don't pay them much attention or energy. I have thought of living in other places (somewhere in Europe because I have an EU-country passport) but I don't think my problems or any city's problems would be that much different anywhere else. Everywhere has its bad aspects. The ways in which BA doesn't work systemically have not affected me so much because of my personal situation, so I have been able to really enjoy it and not let all its troubles bring me down.

Personally I am here because at this point I have my life here. After 5 years, I have property here, my partner, who is wonderful is by my side, and even to my own surprise I think completely differently here than I did back in the USA. I live more for the moment and short term, don't really plan ANYTHING long term and keep my few good friends close to my heart. I however am feeling the effects of the economy and precarious political situation. At 40 plus years old, having invested in a business which was successful but ruined because of corruption in the Buenos Aires city government, and then having to look for a job, in a place where my college degree and 20 years plus of business experience, being fully bilingual, etc hasn't helped me to find any real long term gainful employment. Since my business closed last year, I worked at one small company which lasted 5 months, then packed up and went back to the USA, then I was hired by another company just 4 months ago and was let go yesterday being told that they have decided not to keep the Argentina project (they are based in the USA) going for now. Of course I thought what am I doing wrong? However after discussing this with others I realize that the economy is not in good shape and getting a good (or even ok) job without connections here is difficult. For now I am going to keep trying and we will see what happens. I am an optimist, and feel a lot of lover for this country and pray that one day there will be harmony and stability here.

Davidglen77 said:
I was hired by another company just 4 months ago and was let go yesterday being told that they have decided not to keep the Argentina project (they are based in the USA) going for now. Of course I thought what am I doing wrong? However after discussing this with others I realize that the economy is not in good shape and getting a good (or even ok) job without connections here is difficult.

I have heard from a few people that foreign companies (especially IT related) are downsizing or closing up shop here due to the economy and cost/hassle of doing business here.

As for myself, i have been here for close to 6 years now, but only spend around 6 months here per year, the rest of the time i am either traveling or working in NZ/AU.
I am kind of at a cross road now, and have been wondering why i am still here and if its not time to try somewhere else.
My problem is i hate and love this place at the same time, and usually cant wait to leave after being here for 4 or 5 months, then can't wait to come back after i have been away for a few months.

Back