What legal status is required for a gun permit?

Eggsnbacey

Registered
Hey,

I've just signed up but I have been reading the forum for a while. I'm from the UK and back home I liked to hunt small game. (always eating the meat)

I work from my laptop and I'm interested in getting residency in Argentina and getting into hunting here. I have done lots of google research and spoken to a
few of the gun stores here and in Cordoba... but I still have a few questions. Any help would be much appreciated:

A) What legal status is required in Argentina to obtain a gun permit. I would assume it might be permanent residency but it would be great if they're available while
I'm a temporary resident. (which I understand is 2 or 3 years)

B) As far as finding some hunting permissions... Does anyone know how hard it is to get permission to shoot land with ducks, boar, deer etc. I'd be willing to pay the land
owner for the right of course but all the information online is very expensive trips aimed at tourists. I'm just looking for a general idea how hard this might be or how one might go about getting a permission on some land.

Best,
Tom

Go and visit your local shooting club (Google is your friend here). Whether or not you are a shooting club kindova guy, you will find knowledgeable people as members and administrators who are connected with all parts of the shooting community. Also, I think you will find that the tramites related to owning and using a gun are conducted through shooting club channels.

These links have some info
Applying for permits firearms possession

Online application for firearms possession , can apply with Passport

Hunting permits are issued by each Province and are issued by hunting clubs

These links have some info
Applying for permits firearms possession

Online application for firearms possession , can apply with Passport

Hunting permits are issued by each Province and are issued by hunting clubs

Based on the last two words below, it appears that the requirements to obtain a permit to use firearms (but not necessarily own one?) applies only to foreigners with permanent residency:

Si querés utilizar armas de fuego, debes obtener la credencial de legítimo usuario.

¿Qué necesito?

Acreditar identidad, domicilio real y ser mayor de 21 años. Si sos argentino nativo o por opción debés presentar copia certificada del DNI. Si sos extranjero, también debés presentar copia certificada del DNI acreditando la residencia permanente.

Have you looked into the challenges of buying ammo. Ive heard from some of my fellow expats that buying ammunition is the real problem. The gun is the easy part.

Thanks for all that info gents.

I think i only saw someone mention the challenges of buying quality ammo on here. I visited many gun stores and saw ammunition for sale in various calibers. Thanks I'll ask about that.

Hello and welcome.

If you understand enough spanish, I suggest you take a look/join one or two local gun boards. They´re small communities. They do host dedicared hunting sections. Start from there.

Getting a gun owning license is a tedious process and as you´ve seen, it´s reserved for residents. You might be able to rent/borrow one if you go hunting commercially or with friends. Ammo quality sucks big time in Argentina, prices make the sport almost prohibitive for us locals.

I no longer take part in those activities but things change only to remain the same.

Hello and welcome.

If you understand enough spanish, I suggest you take a look/join one or two local gun boards. They´re small communities. They do host dedicared hunting sections. Start from there.

Getting a gun owning license is a tedious process and as you´ve seen, it´s reserved for residents. You might be able to rent/borrow one if you go hunting commercially or with friends. Ammo quality sucks big time in Argentina, prices make the sport almost prohibitive for us locals.

I no longer take part in those activities but things change only to remain the same.

Thanks for the info. Can you point me in the direction of those local gun boards by any chance please?

I went to a gunshop in Cordoba to check pricing and 20 .308 rounds were about $50 USD. Which doesn't seem terrible to me? $15 for a box of 25 12 guage shells while not cheap also didn't seem prohibitive.

May I ask what type of hunting you took part in before giving it up?

Best,
Tom

Back