What`s Up With Barrio Chino These Days?

khairyexpat

Registered
Barrio Chino Salmon used to be unquestionable quality fresh .

About 3 weeks ago, and as usual bought Uno Entero. Opened the bolsa at home for a shock:
.................... Spoiled unfit for human consumption. Total loss $1600 and a change.

Tonight I looked ...... and absolutely immediately walked away.
No way I`d buy fish with pale gills that look like they are cooked.
They have no problem selling it.
No health department inspection ???????

The very obvious major way you can tell, is the gills have to be bright red and bloody.
(if it doesn`t pass this test, ..... never mind other tests, )

Selling rotten fish is absolutely unacceptable. This being said, the best days for getting fresh fish in Barrio Chino are Wednesdays ( when they actually receive it )

I sincerely hope you returned the offending fish and demanded and immediate refund?
No, unfortunately I couldn`t because it was Sunday night (my usual time).
Returning back from downtown, they would have already been closed till Tuesday.

Selling rotten fish is absolutely unacceptable. This being said, the best days for getting fresh fish in Barrio Chino are Wednesdays ( when they actually receive it )
I really think you can never tell. (I could be wrong)
Yesterday they had about 5 boxes OUTSIDE THE FRIDGE. Marked ""BLUMAR"
He opened a new box for my purchase.
The fridge must have been full and no room inside for these boxes outside. (I`m just guessing why these boxes were outside)

Where do they get this Salmon, I hear it`s not Argentine Salmon. Rumors had it "Chile". ?????

No, unfortunately I couldn`t because it was Sunday night (my usual time).
Returning back from downtown, they would have already been closed till Tuesday.

I really think you can never tell. (I could be wrong)
Yesterday they had about 5 boxes OUTSIDE THE FRIDGE. Marked ""BLUMAR"
He opened a new box for my purchase.
The fridge must have been full and no room inside for these boxes outside. (I`m just guessing why these boxes were outside)

Where do they get this Salmon, I hear it`s not Argentine Salmon. Rumors had it "Chile". ?????
Yes, I believe they get it from Chile. By the middle of the week, you can see most Palermo restaurant chefs shopping for fish, seafood and spices. It is weird that they had the boxes outside of the fridges.

Yes, I believe they get it from Chile. By the middle of the week, you can see most Palermo restaurant chefs shopping for fish, seafood and spices. It is weird that they had the boxes outside of the fridges.

Just guessing ...... the fridge must have been full with the Wednesday new shipment.

Other thing struck me as odd today: ... yesterday they will accept any card for any purchase except for fresh fish:
....................................................................................NO other card is accepted except ONLY VISA. ... Weird !!!

Trying to reason why the draconian measure:
Is VISA the only card that will not accept a complaint about purchase of rotten fish ?

Last time my purchase was cash,
( and if this is their intention) .... hindsight I`d have used a credit card. (may be could`ve worked out????? )

Also weird is: .... ONLY for fresh fish you get 2 receipts:
One receipt from the counter guy ( aside from the normal price sticker)
2nd receipt is the regular one at the cashier.

Everything else: ... ONLY ONE regular receipt at the cashier. (aside from the normal price sticker).

I'd have been waiting on their doorstep on Monday morning, smelly fish in hand.
You can{t swallow that kind of loss and just write it off or it will happen again.

I'd have been waiting on their doorstep on Monday morning, smelly fish in hand.
You can{t swallow that kind of loss and just write it off or it will happen again.

( aside ... Monday they are closed, they don`t open till Tuesday).

That is exactly my question.
It is still happening again ..... they were still selling rotten fish yesterday again.
It is weird ..... no health inspections raids (since 3 weeks ago).
3 weeks ago I got mad for a while then forgot about it.

Now thinking about it ..... this 2 receipts business is so odd .... seems intentional for a reason. (Never gave it a second thought yesterday).
Their suspicious behavior is becoming more and more obvious !!!!!

They are selling rotten fish with intention and impunity, and it seems they are taking active measures to protect themselves (i.e. the 2 receipts and No other cards except VISA )

NOT a one time accident ! It is intentional.

Also now I remember way back, every time I bought lobster it was rotten black inside. ( paying premium top Dollars )
But I assumed that they don`t know nothing about this stuff and it`s been petrified in the freezer for years on end.

They have been selling this with impunity since as long as I`ve been here, it is still in the freezer today, and the stores are prosperous busy bees !!!!!!!!

Back