What should I bring?

STElmoFranco

Registered
Hi guys,

I'm moving down to Buenos Aires in a few weeks and would like to know what you recommend bringing with me that I might not consider. What didn't you bring that you wish you would have? I know about electronics being expensive there, but what else is difficult to find or expensive?

I'm going to be living in a furnished apartment and working.

Thanks,

Franco

davonz

Registered
The things i bought with me:
wifi router, as alot of places dont have, and they are expensive here, and a couple of usb external hard disks (more than double the price here). One to be used if my laptops HD stuffs up.

Pots and pans: it is cheap to eat out here, maybe no more expensive that going to the supermarket and buying food to cook, but i got sick of eating out all the time. Most apts i have rented had shit pots and pans, and its expensive to buy decent ones, so i brought 2 saucepans and a frying pan from home.

Shoes are expensive here, and quality not as good as the chinese ones we get back home - most shoes are made in arg you get here. I like morrels, but the quality of the locally made one are crap and they only last me 6 months to a year, where i have ones i brought back home that last for 2 or more years..

Outdoors equipment: If you are into camping and hiking and intend to do some here, camping gear is expensive here for good stuff.

English books: If you like to read, its expensive and the selection is limited for english books. Even second hand english books can be more then new back home. I usually bring 10 and put in my carry on bag, as they can weight a lot.

argsteve

Registered
For only a few weeks you will be fine... first thing it is cold now so bring a good jacket and warm clothing ..... it is winter....
also if you just cant live without a type of food bring it.. or maybe a certain alcohol... like a certain whiskey,vodka or something...it might not be sold here or it will cost about double here........ I would bring a good frying pan if you have room in the luggage.. the rental places have really bad kitchen stuff.. so a good frying pan or a pot or pan was good for me when I first started coming here...but you might not cook at all for 2 weeks here.....

even a good thick bath towel is nice compared to what you might find in a rental place...... but of course it depends on how much luggage you want to mess with....other than that just special food or booze..... but for a few weeks you wont miss anything... 6 months would be different! good luck

STElmoFranco

Registered
Thanks for the replies. Just to make it clear, I will be living in Buenos Aires indefinitely on a work assignment, so I'm wondering about what to bring if I'm living long term.

citygirl

Registered
Electronics for sure - stuff for your laptop, ipad, etc - anything will cost 2x as much here if not more.

I would recommend high thread count sheets and towels (unless you're in a very high-end apt, the sheets/towels tend to be crap).

Clothes in general are expensive here & not great quality - I do my shopping when I'm back in the US as a rule. So pack well. And yes, it's not tropical here (you probably already know that) so be sure to pack warm winter clothes.

And if you are a cook, you may want to think about bringing a good pot or pan (although it does take up a lot of room). I'm not impressed with the quality of the stuff for the price you will pay.

nikad

Registered
Your favorite spices, Nyquil, Jeans and t shirts, socks and underwear.

steveinbsas

Registered
An ipod with 160GB, high quality headphones, and a Bose sound dock.

Download all your CD's (and as many of your friend's as possible) to itunes and back them up on a 1TG external hard drive (Western Digital is my choice).