What should we bring?

tqtqtq

Registered
Hello all,

This is my first post here. I have seen such good advice passed to others. Now I need it myself.

My husband and I are moving to BA in Feb 2013 from Los Angeles for good and ever. That's the plan. We are retiring and have lots of stuff.

We are anguishing over what to bring with us. No furniture, but appliances? Pots and pans? Kitchen utensils? Art work? Books?

What are you glad you brought with you? What are you sorry you brought with you? What do you wish you had brought? Any advice?

Thanks for any advice.

TQ

Just to be fair I must ask, if you have been to BA prior to this decision and do you have or are you applying for resident visas..or is this just another f'king phoney post meant to get a rise out of those of us who seriously try to help idiots who decide to move to BA and/or retire here without ever having visited? I hope no one esle wastes their time resonding until we know for sure (if that's possible). You can find the answers to most of your questions if you use the search feature of the forum.

PS: There is a livable two bedroom house in the quaint village where I live for sale for $95,000 PESOS (about $22,000 USD). Of course it needs some work, but if you have a limited budget and want to really live like Argentines (in a very, very safe area les than ten minutes from a town of 75,000 and less than 30 minutes from a city of 350,000) just let me know.

I recommend being very selective when reading posts on this site. There are a lot of us who have had, and continue to have, great experiences here in BsAs.

Anyway, back to your question. Keep in mind that your appliances won't work here. US is set for 110V and BsAs is 220V. You can jury rig it but you'll need a transformer which is a PIA.

Are you shipping a container down or trying to get everything on the plane? That will be a determining factor in what you can / will bring. When I moved here I did bring most of my home office, including a large flat-screen, my files, electronics, etc, etc. The rest of the stuff I just bought here.

If I were to do it all over again I'd bring a lot less and just outfit myself here. Unless it's something of high sentimental value.

My .02

I do recommend pots and pans as the quality and price here is ridiculously expensive and poor quality! Also keep in mind that the import ban is on so if you love special sauces from the us better bring them! Also buying clothes ( jackets ect) is super expensive here go but clothes you may need in the us! Good luck!

And I must add, get rid of as much of your stuff as possible prior to your move. Don't try to bring any artworks. No matter wht you do bring, you will be dissapointed with similar products here. Nonetheless, I am happy I brought my stovetop R. Saper Alessi espreso coffee maker. Otherwise, it's just stuff. And how many times do you really want to read the same book?

I moved here (from Mexico in 2006) with two suitcases of "old" clothes and my dog in my carry on, but the last time I visited the US (2008 )I returned with five overweight suitcases, filled mostly with sheets, towels, and clothes purchased in new or nearly new condition in San Francisco thrift shops (including a nearly new Zenga cashmere spoart coat for five dollars).

GS_Dirtboy said:
I recommend being very selective when reading posts on this site. There are a lot of us who have had, and continue to have, great experiences here in BsAs.

I had great experiences in BsAs (Capital Federal) ...and I can also say that I have had MUCH better experiences Provinca BsAs than I ever had in the city. If you bring the ability to adapt you might find happines here. I have found happiness because I embrace the life that is possible here...without asking more or expecting less.

Back