What would customs do if I brought grapes or other fruit?

Yikes.

I have brought three large bags of organic dried mangos, a can of grape leaves, tons of baby food that is puree'd fruit and veggies. They search my bags but never call me out on these.

a can = sterilized ... baby food in sterilized containers, glass or can.

One can normally bring sterilized food into both Argentina and Chile - but ask at costums to avoid serious problems.

Just gonna let a box of organic blackberries "drop" from my suitcase at customs while I bring an entire suitcase filled with ice packed wild Alaskan salmon and blue fin tuna

Yikes.

I have brought three large bags of organic dried mangos, a can of grape leaves, tons of baby food that is puree'd fruit and veggies. They search my bags but never call me out on these.

Because it is legal perhaps?

You do not declare what you want. There are permits you need to apply for.
are you serious?

Serious about needing a permit to import fresh fruit or frozen fish into Argentina?

I suggest you use a google search to see what products cannot legally be brought into the country in checked or carry on baggage.

If you do you might find this:

Prohibited: it is not permitted for any passenger to import the following as part of their accompanied baggage:
1. meat or meat products from any animal species (incl. sausages, cold cuts, ham);
2. dairy products or dairy bi-products;
3. bee products (honey, wax, etc);
4. fresh fruit and vegetables; flowers and plants with fruits, ornamental plants, trees or parts of trees, bulbs, seeds, rhizomes, buds etc;
5. insects, bacteria, fungi, viruses or any other micro-organisms for research or other uses;
6. semen, biological products used in veterinary medicine;
7. animal feed;
8. soil.

Source: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/AR-ARGENTINA-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

Back