What's in carne picada?

CarverFan

Registered
Meat eating friend asked me to post this...

The picada here is unlike that in the US or UK. Have bought it from several local carnicerias, and even the picada especial is like this. Paying about 25 a kilo.
Seems to be a mix of meats, could they be adding chicken into it to bring down the costs?

Unicorn livers and puppy dog tails! :p

Who knows what's in that crap. I always ask the carnicero to mince a piece of meat for me.

I never buy carne picada but the meat grinder attachement for my kitchenaid was one of the best purchases of my life.

Every time I tell about "Steak tartare" to a local, he looks at me horrified.

its the cheap, fatty bits of beef, ground up.
I'm veggie but when i buy carne picada to make beefburgers for my husband I'll go to a local butchers, select half a kilo of lomo, ask him to chop any excess fat off and then put it through the grinder. As far as I can tell (from cooking it), its the same as the "lean steak mince" I'd buy in the UK..

French jurist said:
Every time I tell about "Steak tartare" to a local, he looks at me horrified.

And rightly so! :p I think most people would be horrified by it! How can people eat that?

I wonder what the standards are here for ground beef. I've found the meat to be pretty fatty. You probably are better off grinding it yourself or having your butcher do it after trimming the excess fat. :)

Eclair said:
And rightly so! :p I think most people would be horrified by it! How can people eat that?

I wonder what the standards are here for ground beef. I've found the meat to be pretty fatty. You probably are better off grinding it yourself or having your butcher do it after trimming the excess fat. :)

Do you mean 'Minced meat'.

Minced meat is exactly what it says it's 'cow meat' minced (Beef) nor chicken nor anything else, (hopefully), now, that said the quality and control depends of the department of Bromatología (food science - Meat products quality control) and their inspectors to assert that this is the case, hefty penalties are applied and ban/closure even jail are implemented to anyone who don't comply with these rules they are very strict on this.

In the context of suggesting that the minced meat seems 'pretty fat' it not contains more or less fat than any mince in other countries, there are lean, standard and the very cheap one which of course will have more fat in it, but at least they don't put some artificial colorants to fool people in believing it contains less fat as they do in others countries not to mention the pink lighting tubes over it.

Back