What's Keeping You?

mimyr

Registered
There seems to be a large (or at least very vocal) amount of people here that are quite unhappy about the government, society, culture, etc here in Argentina. Since all of these people have presumably moved here voluntarily, I'm curious: why do you choose to stay? I came here for various reasons, but one of the big ones was that I was very unhappy with my home society, culture, and government. It seems like moving, when possible, is a logical choice in those circumstances. So what is it that prevents you? Family? Money? There's something here that you love which eclipses your burning hatred of Cristina?

Speaking just for me,i'd have to say partly is because i have kin folk around here,and also because Argentina is a country with great potential,when i say Argentina ,i don't mean BSAS,i mean the rest of the country.
As soon as you get out of the city, you might see,if you are a good observer,tons of opportunities,and the further out you venture ,the greater number of opportunities you will see,as everything is waiting to be made or developed .
The Cristina thing is just temporary as she is on her way out,some of us don't see eye to eye on her social politics or even her position on foreign politics,and to some of us ,that counts as missed opportunities to make things better for the long run and not just another 'band aid' to get re elected.
What makes me feel sad ,is seeing all these chances this country had in the past ,and did not take advantage of it.....

I am Argentinean, I might be living elsewhere. Despite of many issues here what keeps me here is that I don't know another country considerably better than mine. Many years ago I thought that other countries might be better, but once I started to dig in, I got to the conclusion that there are good and bad people everywhere regardless of the nationality, education, social class, etc.

Love it or Leave it . Those unhappy here that have no valid visa and no work should pack and go.

I can't afford to live in a corruption-lite country - they are invariably expensive - think Sweden, Singapore, Switzerland and oh Canada.

Interesting that every "serious" country today is expensive while the cheaper are the third world... certainly another panorama than fifteen? years ago when everything was different, Argentina was more (yes, incredibly there is more corruption than this one) corrupted and yet much more expensive.

There seems to be a large (or at least very vocal) amount of people here that are quite unhappy about the government, society, culture, etc here in Argentina. Since all of these people have presumably moved here voluntarily, I'm curious: why do you choose to stay? I came here for various reasons, but one of the big ones was that I was very unhappy with my home society, culture, and government. It seems like moving, when possible, is a logical choice in those circumstances. So what is it that prevents you? Family? Money? There's something here that you love which eclipses your burning hatred of Cristina?

If I did not have family in Argentina, I would probably not feel the same attachment to the country nor would I have acquired property. That said, I enjoy living in the city for several months at a time, and traveling from La Quiaca all the way to Ushuaia. If I couldn't come back, I would really miss it.

Interesting that every "serious" country today is expensive while the cheaper are the third world... certainly another panorama than fifteen? years ago when everything was different, Argentina was more (yes, incredibly there is more corruption than this one) corrupted and yet much more expensive.

Still waiting to hear something coherent from this source.

That was caused by the currency peg - invariably that was going to end - as do all currency pegs.

http://es.wikipedia....dad_del_Austral

Back