What's The Best Way To See Tigre

jb5

Registered
Is there a boat tour that's better than others? Good restaurants? Any recommendations appreciated.

i personally would recommend NO tourist boat tour. instead you should go to the estacion fluvial (across the street from the train station) and get on one of the lanchas colectivas which go up and down the small rivers in the delta. one i like is a ca. 3 hr round trip which goes up to the rio parana and stops wherever some one wants to get on or off. during ordinary week days you see school children being picked up or dropped off, mail and groceries being delivered, and more scenes of daily life on the river. bring your own picnic and enjoy it.

mariposa said:
i personally would recommend NO tourist boat tour. instead you should go to the estacion fluvial (across the street from the train station) and get on one of the lanchas colectivas which go up and down the small rivers in the delta. one i like is a ca. 3 hr round trip which goes up to the rio parana and stops wherever some one wants to get on or off. during ordinary week days you see school children being picked up or dropped off, mail and groceries being delivered, and more scenes of daily life on the river. bring your own picnic and enjoy it.

About how much does a day trip to Tigre cost? I'm guessing very minimal if you bring your own food, right? Thanks!

About how much does a day trip to Tigre cost? I'm guessing very minimal if you bring your own food, right? Thanks!

i don't remember exactly but the lancha colectiva costs very little. it works kind of like a bus (colectivo). in my opinion it's the best way to explore the tigre delta on a day trip.

mariposa said:

A couple of questions. Across from the regular train station or the tourist train station? Do you know how long between boats. If you want to get off and explore an island, how long untin the next boat? Thanks for the tip.

TomAtAlki said:
A couple of questions. a)Across from the regular train station or the tourist train station? b)Do you know how long between boats. c)If you want to get off and explore an island, how long untin the next boat? Thanks for the tip.

a)Erme - both really. Both stations are on the same side of the inlet where the boats dock and you just kind of point yourself a little more to the West, if you are coming from the tourist station. b)The boats are pretty frequent but there are peak times and low times and they don't run through the night. I have no idea if there's a timetable on line but there's one pinned up in the office. c)It's a collectiva: it just shuttles up and down watery streets between other people's houses so it isn't (AFAIK) geared up to hop-on, hop-off tourism. There are one or two places open to the public - leisure parks and hotels and the like, and Sarmiento's house is preserved there - but mostly the boats stop at the jetties at the end of people's own private gardens. While the local laws prohibit landowners from barring the way of pedestrians across their land, that's so that other home owners can go to the shops, not so that tourists can wander around. I have friends who live about forty minutes out from Tigre and when I've been to visit them, I've never felt it's the 'done thing' to get out somewhere else.

i meant across from the regular train, but as was already mentioned, both trains are close together.

the lanchas are every couple of hours, i think, during the day. if i remember correctly, one company is Interisleña, tel 4797-3215 o 15-4061-6710

When I went this time last year, there was a great German restaurant about an hour out on one of the lanchas. The Estacion Fluvial, or something like that, is the Boat Station. It is just beyond the McDondal's across from the regular station for the trains from Retiro. There is a tourist office inside. We went in to the tourist office and asked about lunch places. They asked if we wanted to travel about 30 minutes out or an hour out. We chose the hour. The boats are like buses and there are various routes.The people in the tourist office will tell you which boat you need to take. Ask at the boat ticket office, or on board, how often they run and when you can get one coming back.

i would skip the restaurant and keep on going on the lancha. (bring your own lunch.) it gets much more interesting further up the river. and to see the rio parana is quite a sight. that's where the huge ships travel.

i once walked past that german restaurant and somehow it gave me the creeps. it looks like a fake "alpenhaus", and it was full of germans eating lunch and drinking (of course) german wine. somehow old nazis came to mind....but of course i may have that completely wrong.

Back