What's The Most Difficult Thing In The Spanish Language?

AdrianB1983

Registered
After watching this video I got curious. Do you identify with those people at the beginning?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZFFEcHr8NM

So is it the rrrrrrr sound? The fact that words can be feminine or masculine? I've always wondered why, generally, English speakers say, for instance, tangou instead of tango. It doesn't seem very hard, or is it? On the other hand, the /æ/ and /z/ in English, that's hard.

The hardest part of spanish is the grammatical structure. Different verb conjugations can get fairly hairy and the tenses are also richer and more nuanced than in English. Also, another annoying one is getting down the use of ser and estar, which even a veteran speaker can get confused about. Personally, after some practice, I don't think the rr is to bad, or learning to pronounce Spanish well. You just have to have no shame and really open your mouth and move your lips more. But some people really struggle with it (although of course my pronunciation is far from perfect).

The hardest part of spanish is the grammatical structure. Different verb conjugations can get fairly hairy and the tenses are also richer and more nuanced than in English. Also, another annoying one is getting down the use of ser and estar, which even a veteran speaker can get confused about. Personally, after some practice, I don't think the rr is to bad, or learning to pronounce Spanish well. You just have to have no shame and really open your mouth and move your lips more. But some people really struggle with it (although of course my pronunciation is far from perfect).

Conjugating English verbs is far more difficult than their Spanish counterparts.

Subjunctive is the most foreign concept in terms of being distinct from English in it's widescale applicability. Then past subjunctive , i.e. the combination of tense & subjunctive mood is a further irritation. It's completely readable, no issue there, but it's difficult for me to remember to use,

Back