What's The Visa Interview Like? (In Us,argentine Consulate)

natykerouac

Registered
Once I get accepted into a university in Buenos Aires, I am going to apply for a (temporary, student?) visa. Is the visa interview (at the Argentine consulate in the US, LA if you know) difficult? What do they ask? Do most people get approved?
Also, I'm kinda scared that this all won't get done in time for me to leave, because I'll probably find out I'm accepted in December, which is when I was planning on moving, to be there a couple months before school starts..Anyone have any experience with any part of this?
Thanks!!

Once I get accepted into a university in Buenos Aires, I am going to apply for a (temporary, student?) visa. Is the visa interview (at the Argentine consulate in the US, LA if you know) difficult? What do they ask? Do most people get approved?
Also, I'm kinda scared that this all won't get done in time for me to leave, because I'll probably find out I'm accepted in December, which is when I was planning on moving, to be there a couple months before school starts..Anyone have any experience with any part of this?
Thanks!!

You don't have anything to worry about, either at migraciones in Argentina or at the Argentine consulate in LA.

All they care about is whether or not you have the correct documents, and in your case, that you are enrolled as a full time student in an approved school.

Click on the sprocket next to the magnifying glass and use the advance search feature.

Enter key words like student and visa, searching in titles only.

They ask all sorts of things:

-Do you know mate?

-What do you think of Argentine wo/men?

-Do you know Fernet? (Do you like it?)

-Argentina has the best pizza in the world, right? (This is tricky, because you don't realize it's a question... you really think it's a joke, but it's a question and they are serious.)

-Do you like Dulce de Leche?

...and that's just for starters. It's pretty serious. You better do your homework, or you're %*#^$%&!!

Don't stress. If something goes wrong you can just come down as a tourist and finish the process here.

The embassy here in LA emailed me and told me once I'm accepted into an Argentine university, I can apply for a visa through the consulate. An Argentine woman I know here told me that some schools won't accept you unless you have a student visa, so it's kind of a catch-22. Does anyone know anything about this? Or how to find out if IUNA, UBA, UNLP (my main choices) require a student visa to APPLY?
Thanks!!

Then they ask you if you can tell what the filling is on the inside of an empanada by the way the dough is folded on the outside (replugue). There is actually a guide you can study as there is a nationwide standard for this. Do a Google search for "la asociación Argentina del repulgue empanadero" and you will find this. Good luck.

I think the woman misunderstood. What she probably means is you need a student visa to be able to study at some schools. But these schools do not require you have it before you apply. Apply, get in, then apply for the visa. Also you can apply for the visa after you arrive in bs as.

Here's what you need to do:

1) Get your fingerprints taken at your local police station and then send them off to the FBI for a background check. (West Virginia I believe.)

2) Get a copy of your high school transcript. (Not sure if this is even needed.)

That's about it.

When your background check is sent back to your parents' house, have them send it off to get an apostille stamp in Washington, D.C.

Nothing else to even think about.

Now start checking the threads that have recommendations for what you should bring.

suerte

Naty, you are asking a lot of good questions, but I would suggest you contact the university where you want to study and ask them what you need to do.

To study at UBA, for example, you need to find out if you can apply for a student visa while you are trying to complete your high-school equivalency exams. Technically, there is no such thing as "applying" to UBA. It's open to any resident with a validf high school diploma. Therein lies your catch-22, since you are coming from the US.

Honestly, I think the fastest way for you to get here and start studying would be to get a student visa to study Spanish for a year. Use that time to complete the equivalency exams, and deal with all the paperwork while you are here.

Back