Wheelchair Friendly Hostel

dirtyauzzie

Registered
Hi

After living in Buenos Aires for nearly 4 years Im well aware that its not the easiest city to ger around if anybody is suffering from any kind of physical disability.

Im trying to advise somebody who is in a wheelchair of places to stay in Buenos Aires that are "wheelchair friendly", but all I have found so far are hotels, mainly in Puerto Madero, but these are out of her budget.

Anyone know of a hostel that would be considered wheelchair friendly?

Try
Bohemia Buenos Aires in San Telmo. Ask to have a look in the bedroom first a I am pretty sure it was here that was really well done but dont want to go on record about it!
Also I think Mine Hotel or Vain Hotel in Palermo also have semi decent facilities.

Maybe the ministerio de la salud has some kind of info ? (I don't know which ministerio handles disabled people).

More than once I have been wondering about people in wheelchair here. It's not adapted at all (buses, sidewalks,restaurants, etc)

My Argentine colleague tried to find some sort of governmental agency that would help, but was apparantly unable to find anything. If I google it, there are a list of hostels on the big sites like hostel bookers that state they are, you then go into their site where it mentions nothing. I have then been calling and they have all said no, or said yes and when questioned further it really was a no for me.

I have had 2 people come here before but both stayed in hotels and enjoyed "the challenge" but we were always really clear as to what to expect beforehand....ie...buses driving by you, uneven pavements etc

French jurist said:
Maybe the ministerio de la salud has some kind of info ? (I don't know which ministerio handles disabled people).

More than once I have been wondering about people in wheelchair here. It's not adapted at all (buses, sidewalks,restaurants, etc)
I work for the health ministry and we don't have this kind of information, the place where you should go, or call, and get a book for handicaped that is totally free is:
Copidis:

http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas...er&item_id=22248&contenido_id=23634&idioma=es

Thanks to all that have posted.

Just to let you know, after checking out some of the so called wheelchair friendly hostels I did find one in the end that nearly ticked all of the boxes and was the best that I could find.

Its hostel Florida Suites on Florida, its entrance is at the same level as the street, all of the doors are wide enough, all levels are accessible by a lift, the hallways are nice and wide.

The only thing it doesnt have is an especially wheelchair adapted bathroom, the bathrooms in the dorms might be difficult to shut if someone enters with a wheelchair, but the bathrooms in the double rooms are bigger and have sufficient space to allow any manouvering needed.

They were honest enough and said the one problem that they suffer from, being in the micro centre are power cuts and she may be stranded on a floor somewhere shoudl it happen.

She's coming in January so Ill update then if she found it ok or not.

Reactions: pez
Back