When Can I Apply For A Dni

DCexpatstudent

Registered
I have temporary residency through a student visa and am trying to figure out when I'm able to apply for a DNI. I was told that I need to be in the country for 6 months by one migraciones employee and 3 by another so I'm kind of lost with this...

Hmm, when I got my first DNI it was tramitado at the same time as my residency. They gave me a piece of paper indicating "residencia precaria", valid for the first 3 months of what would be (eventually, assuming it was able to be finalized) a total of 12 months of "temporary" residency. In 2010 at least, the first DNI and the residency was a two-for-one tramite. I paid for and solicited my DNI in Migraciones and that very same day they gave me the residencia precaria. Then it arrived in the mail at some point during the three months my residencia precaria was valid for. Unless it's changed since then, I am pretty sure if you have temporary residency you could have requested the DNI the same day you requested temp residency.

What kind of student are you? How long is your temporary residency valid for? If you are enrolled in a program that lasts 6 months I believe they grant you "residencia transitoria", not temporary, which does not entitle you to a DNI. Please someone correct me it I am wrong. :)

Have you been to Hipolito Yrigoyen 952 to inquire yet? Honestly since they issue the DNIs for foreigners, they are going to be the ones to know for sure. The lines there are manageable, it's totally not as overwhelming as the DNM on Antartida Argentina.

I study Interior Design at the Universidad Belgrano. Its my first semester here because I was able to bypass some classes already taken. But I believe that is the problem that they issued me residencia transitoria maybe since I came in to study in the middle of the academic year. Looks like I'll be taking another trip to the DNM to get this fixed! But that makes a lot of sense, thanks for clearing it up for me!

But yes I'll actually try there first because the lines are super long at DNM and it not promising when I get multiple different answers. thanks!

Back