When I came to Argentina ...

First time I visited in 2004, the peso was 3 to 1. When I got married in 2012, it was 4.25.

I like to look around my house and remember how many pesos we paid for things. A nice wool coat, 300 pesos. A blanket, 39 pesos. It's not so interesting in dollars, but I feel less bad about times I was ripped off.

First time I visited in 2004, the peso was 3 to 1. When I got married in 2012, it was 4.25.

I like to look around my house and remember how many pesos we paid for things. A nice wool coat, 300 pesos. A blanket, 39 pesos. It's not so interesting in dollars, but I feel less bad about times I was ripped off.

I think about this sometimes. I remember getting pained faces for change when paying for pizza with a hundred peso bill, and now I give my husband shit if he tips less than that for delivery.

When I was a kid my father used to tell me about how coke was a nickel and I'd laugh and say he was joking. When I first visited Argentina I paid 8 pesos for a bottle of diet coke at a kiosk and that's worth about 5¢ these days. I should tell my nephew and see if his reaction is the same as mine was.

Even in 2019 when I first came here I remember getting scammed by waiters and service people and feeling really bad about it. I look back now and I think that being scammed less than a dollar is not so bad... I now feel bad that maybe I should have given a bigger propina.

Back