Traditionally dollars are stored under the mattresses.Sure, of course...but then where do I store them?
1) Did you read Papillon?Sure, of course...but then where do I store them? Can I open a dollar bank account in BA and then can I take out what I need? Is that safe to do?
No problem at all...I lived for 10 years in Thailand and Cambodia...much the same problem with insane governments (but pretty good economies really)...my favorite description of the Thai government is; teenagers without any adult supervision. Cambodia is not much better.1) Did you read Papillon?
2) Yes, you can, once you have a DNI.
3) No, it most emphatically is not safe to do so.
This is a very limited and sanitized version of what happened.
Basically, the government confiscated everyone's dollar deposits, and gave them pesos or peso denominated bonds at 1-1 when the peso was only worth 20-25 cents US. So the middle class got ripped off for 75-80% of their savings. Meanwhile, the elites were warned in advance, and moved their money offshore temporarily. Then when the economy crashed and people were scrounging for food in trash cans, they brought their dollars back and bought up real estate and other hard assets for a tiny percentage of real value.
On top of this, some debts were also converted, so big businesses with political connections escaped 75-80% of their dollar-denominated debts.
It was a massive transfer of wealth from the middle class to the elites.
I realize that some of the answers you are getting here seem insufferable and condescending, but that's not our intention. We are trying to be helpful and warn you. But the thing is that we are all torn between our love of Argentina and the awareness that this is a dangerous place to live, not danger of street thugs but danger from governments and politicians and banks, who are thieves and criminals of a much larger scale, against whom it is very difficult to protect oneself. And this conflict produces in all of us a sort of cognitive dissonance that makes us seem horribly edgy when we try to talk about our beloved second home. We don't mean to be nasty and sarky, even if we come off that way.
Exactly the type of info I needed...thank you!OK, OK, separate post, original question, what should you bring.
1) Blistex, the white cream in a soft toothpaste-tube, not the chapstick in the hard cylinder.
2) High quality soap, if you can get it cheap at Trader Joe's or some such, The French-made stuff is good. Common white shower soap here will eat the top layer of skin off your body, which is really uncomfortable on the naughty bits. I buy glycerine soap to escape this, but it melts away so fast. I gave a gift of some some quality hard-milled French soap to the Brazilian wife of an American friend, and her gratitude was effusive enough to be embarrassing. She'd apparently never used anything of the kind before. Some things the French do really well. Not many, but some.
3) Charmin is too bulky to bring, but prepare yourself for brutal harsh toilet paper. A bigger issue for women than for men, but even Elite isn't Charmin, and the cheaper brands are like wiping your ass with sandpaper. Ouch.
4. A couple different quality options for carrying money concealed under your clothes.
5. Underwear and shoes. Both are shit quality here. Bring lots.
6. Brightly colored bandanas. Wonderful for small gifts. Only available here in basic "Crips & Bloods" red and blue, and not common even then.
7. A couple good warm coats, like a down jacket, those will crush down small.
8. Blue jeans, several extra pairs.
|Thread starter||Similar threads||Forum||Replies||Date|
|E||Teaching in 2024. I am currently in Buenas Aires and interested to move here in February 2024, from Queensland, Australia. Advice?||Expat Life||23|
|R||I'm In Ba And I Want To Move Here. Be My Friend!||Newcomers Forum||11|
|Just Moved Here From The Us!||Newcomers Forum||2|
|Moved Here From California||Newcomers Forum||18|
|How Easy Is It To Get A Visa (Student) To Move There & Study||Expat Life||3|
|Teaching in 2024. I am currently in Buenas Aires and interested to move here in February 2024, from Queensland, Australia. Advice?|
|I'm In Ba And I Want To Move Here. Be My Friend!|
|Just Moved Here From The Us!|
|Moved Here From California|
|How Easy Is It To Get A Visa (Student) To Move There & Study|