Where Did All The Black Beans Go?

fred mertz

Registered
Recently, Disco Markets, Casa China and probably other food emporiums had huge amounts of La Costena canned black beans and refried beans. Now, none are to be had. Was there a recall?

buy it when you see it because it will usually be sold / vanish for a while.

Happens with local products too. Anyone seen the cheap cans of corned beef recently? Want to make some cheapo stovies but they have vanished and i don't fancy spending $20 on a can of the "premium" corned beef.

As an American living abroad for lo these many years one of the first things I learned was not to count on the supply of any item in local markets.
I was a bit shocked first time I went shopping with a local and was pointedly told that if there was something I knew I liked and used the only limit I should use on buying was my wallet and maybe storage space. Being American I was still slow to learn, mostly buying 2 when I wanted 1 but it has grown on me, I am up to 4 or 5. (and get more before you run out)
Sounds like Argentina will be just more of same.
Actually its not a bad habit.
:)

I don't where they've gone, but I have noticed in general that beans are quite expensive these days, especially black beans. You can get dry uncooked black beans still, in your local dietetica, though I've noticed that they have also been kind of harder to find. They dry uncooked are not all that hard to prepare, though obviously less convenient than the can.

buy it when you see it because it will usually be sold / vanish for a while.

Yeah, I used to wonder why they stocked all the La Costeña products except for chipotles. Turns out they do stock all of them, the chipotles just sell out first and are rarely restocked.

I learned this when I saw a freshly stocked batch in barrio chino 9 months ago that had already been half decimated, I quickly bought the rest and asked the encargada to text me when they came back. I didn't hear anything from her till february, when I managed to get all but about 10 of the new stock. I'm like the crazy lady who collects newspapers only I have >50 tins of chipotles in my closet.

I actually encountered spicy food yesterday. I stopped for a lomito and they had something called putita sauce. (I'll pass right over the etymology there) .

It was interesting, definitely spicy, but, well...Jalapeños or Habaneros are one kind of burn on your tongue, and the chiles in Kung Pao chicken are a different type of burn; this was a third variety yet.

It was interesting, definitely spicy, but, well...Jalapeños or Habaneros are one kind of burn on your tongue, and the chiles in Kung Pao chicken are a different type of burn; this was a third variety yet.

It was probably, based on the name, from puta pario which is which is a chile from the north of argentina. Capiscum chocoense

I actually encountered spicy food yesterday. I stopped for a lomito and they had something called putita sauce. (I'll pass right over the etymology there) .

I can't wait for a foreigner to ask a waitress "tenes salsa putita?"

I think I know the product, it's sold at Jumbo and there's a text "que la pario" below the brand name. It's a mix of chili, vinegar, sugar, etc.
Not that spicy in fact (I could drink a small glass of it at once), but pleasantly flavoured though, worth trying.

Last time I heard of Black beans, it was my mum singing it in the kitchen about 30 years ago to David Souls "All i want is Black bean soup, and you can make it for me" :D

Back