Where did Barrio Norte go?

fred mertz

Registered
I received an email from the Argentine Star advising that Starbucks had opened their 23rd store in argentina. Looking further, I found that their store at Callao and Viamonte is in "Recoleta"? This area IS NOT in Recoleta. It seems like this is a scam by real estate people to have an excuse to raise raise rents and property prices. Barrio Norte is never mentioned on line or by the media. One guy recently wrote on a travel blog that Recoleta were adjacent. I say Not So. Whadda ya think?

Callao and Viamonte would be in Balvanera or San Nicolas depending on which side of Callao. Barrio Norte does not exist (nor has it ever existed) as an official barrio, just like Once, Abasto, Las Cañitas and others.

I think you are right, by just one street (Recoleta stops at Cordoba). I see it more in Balvanera.
Anyway it's not such a big deal, is it ?

Barrio Norte, Buenos Aires

Barrio Norte (Northern neighborhood) is the informal name given to a part of Buenos Aires centering around Santa Fe Avenue and the Recoleta district.

An unofficial neighborhood, Barrio Norte is roughly transposable with the Recoleta district, though it generally refers to the portion south of Las Heras Avenue. Barrio Norte also includes northern parts of the Balvanera district, eastern parts of Palermo and the portion of Retiro west of the Nueve de Julio Avenue. Accordingly, its population exceeds 200,000.

The name (which stems from the area's location relative to the city center) took hold when people began relocating to the area from the San Telmo and Montserrat districts following the 1871 yellow fever epidemic. An area of comfortable rowhouses during the early 20th century, it became a focus of highrise apartment development as early as the 1930s.

fred mertz said:
I received an email from the Argentine Star advising that Starbucks had opened their 23rd store in argentina. Looking further, I found that their store at Callao and Viamonte is in "Recoleta"? This area IS NOT in Recoleta. It seems like this is a scam by real estate people to have an excuse to raise raise rents and property prices. Barrio Norte is never mentioned on line or by the media. One guy recently wrote on a travel blog that Recoleta were adjacent. I say Not So. Whadda ya think?

Fred you are so arrogant. Your opinions are rarely right and FYI it is Recoleta ................................

Cabrera, isn't the frontier (south west) between Recoleta and Balvanera located at Av. Cordoba ?
Anyway, big deal

French jurist said:
I think you are right, by just one street (Recoleta stops at Cordoba). I see it more in Balvanera.
Anyway it's not such a big deal, is it ?

For old-timers, the true Recoleta is a tiny area bordered by Aguero, Libertador, Las Heras and Callao. Adjacent areas are called Barrio Norte, and anything beyond Cordoba has no prestige at all.

Realtors keep extending the Recoleta prestige name to justify high prices, just as they keep extending Palermo. Prices in Colegiales tripled after it was renamed Palermo Hollywood.

cabrera said:
Fred you are so arrogant. Your opinions are rarely right and FYI it is Recoleta ................................

Fred isn't being arrogant. He's being indignant, and rightly so.

Sara, Lucas, Pauper, and French Jurist are also correct. Recoleta stops at Cordoba and Callao. In fact, it's borders are exactly those of comisaria number 17. Just look at a map.

I know an Argentine artist who has an apartment on Uriburu two blocks south of Cordoba. She advertises it as being in Recoleta as opposed to Balvanera. I asked her about this and her reply was that she got a lot more rental inquires when she added the word Recoleta to her ads. At night it's a bit "seedy" compared to most of Recloeta. Two or three blocks can make a big difference.

Back