Where Do All The Dead People Go?

tangobob

Registered
Yes I know the go to the cemeteries, but how do they get there.
With an estimated population of 2.9 million and a life expectancy of 70 years,that means that someone's dying every 5.5 minutes. (yes I know, and he is not very happy about it).
So why do I never see a hearse. You would think that the city streets, already clogged would reduced to further chaos all ay every day by lines of 15 mph funeral processions.
Just curious.

A couple months ago, in Palermo, I saw the cops loading a body bag into one of their vehicles, but where it went from there, I can't tell you (Didn't appear to be a suspicious death, they were acting as if it were something routine).

Theres a lot of cremation!

There are a few cementeries but in the city ony two, being Recoleta very exclusive and Chacarita enormous. Then you have Olivos, Bulogne, etc. There are some in the south of course, but the city only has those two.

Because it is so expensive, people do it less and less. They just opt for cremation, or bodies are taken outside of the city to private cemeteries. When I was younger it was more common to see 3-4-5 cars in a hearse ( black cars ).

Theres a lot of cremation!

There are a few cementeries but in the city ony two, being Recoleta very exclusive and Chacarita enormous. Then you have Olivos, Bulogne, etc. There are some in the south of course, but the city only has those two.

There are other city cemeteries, such as Flores.

In general funerary homes are closer to the cemeteries. There are many on Cordoba ( Villa Crespo - Chacarita area ) avenue for example, so unless you are in the area you will not see a hearse.

If you aer into the subject I suggest you watch Peculo's TV show http://www.institutoiate.com.ar/

If you are interested in seeing hearses, just hang around funeral homes; you might es a few hearses and a group of cars following behind, leaving once in a while from there, usually late in the mornings heading toward the local city cementeries. I believe the farewell ceremonies at the chapel of the local city cementery, such as Chacarita, are held between 12:00 and 1:30 pm, approximately.
The old custom used to be these group of cars (procesión) driving slowly by the home/residence of the person who died, or even the school where the young child used to study, and stopping by for a couple of minutes as a signal of respect. Nowadays, this is more the exception than the rule; I guess also security plays a role in these changes but you may still see the procession driving by the neighbourhood.

They disappear in the same way as your trash and excrement. Gnomes.

Just recently i saw a gold hearse close JB Justo and Nazca . Looked pretty awful but the guy inside wa probbaly not too bothered by the clour.

Back