Where do I go to pick up a package that I sent to myself from the US?

AniaS

Registered
I sent a package of books for my kids from the US to our address here. I understand that I need to go to a customs office to claim it. Where would this be? I live in Palermo Soho. It's a 30lbs box of used kids' books (so nothing that valuable). It should have arrived at least two weeks ago...any suggestions? Thank you!

Prepare for your first lesson in Argentine bureaucracy. Extra baggage would have been cheaper. A letter from the USA takes two weeks to deliver here. Plan on waiting at least another month for the box. The books have value. Bring along lots of cash for your visit at Retiro, and also a good book to read.

Great - where is Retiro? The package has arrived, but now need to go get it. Fine to pay and wait...but just need to find it :) THANK YOU!

collectivo 108 dude. catch it at plaza italia, get off right across from the post office in Retiro.

Not really, I brought new ones without any hassles.
You have to open the afip pages, generate a file, pay an small storage fee, etc.
Books are the only items exemted from duty here, reason is people hate to read!!
ha ha ha

I find it amusing that an argentine thinks people hate to read- Buenos Aires has more bookstores per capita than almost anywhere, 10 daily newspapers, and cabdrivers with PHD's. You havent been in any american cities lately, obviously, where even the big chain bookstores have gone out of business, and the people's idea of "reading" is 3 lines on their cellphone. Personally, I find Argentina amazingly literate.

Back