Where Do You Shop?

Caribbean

Registered
I'll be arriving in BA for the firs time in a week and just wondering about certain things. I'm from the US and wondering where you all shop for beauty products? Is there a place similar to a Saphora cosmetics? Do you know of a place that carries a great line of makeup/ colors/ products? Where do you shop for face creams, lotions ect. Also a is it easy to find feminine products( tampons ect) I love a good drug store to find basic mascara and face powders...is it pretty similar there. We are transioning from India so I figure if I could find CoverGirl and Olay there...I should be able to find it here....right? I may just have to pay more for it?

Its difficult to find yr preferred products in BA. Please get yr stock for 6 months/1 yr from where ever u r coming from.

Perfumes are though easily available in the duty free shopping and u can take advantage of the blue rate.

Caribbean- Ceviche is absolutely right. Finding most any kind of product (not just limited to beauty/grooming) is very challenging, if not impossible here. I have never seen any Oil of Olay products, and Cover Girl cosmetics are sold in high-end, posh shopping malls and cost far too much.

The closest thing that I have seen here that could compare to a Sephora is a MAC Cosmetics stand in the Alto Palermo Mall, but *ouch,* the prices hurt!

FYI- My Argentine sister in law had a friend who wanted to buy some high-end cosmetics (I think they were being advertised as Estee Lauder) on the Mercado Libre website. Long story short, they turned out to be cheap knock-offs.

Stock up on whatever you can while you still can.

Feminine Product you will find in supermarkets and at farmacity everywhere in BA. You will find brands like OB and also lokal brands that are okay. Cosmetics are a bit more expensive (depends where you come from, compared to Europe about the same), but I never had any problem to find what I was looking for. In shopping centers or at falabella you will even find exclusive brands like MAC etc. That was the situation one year ago, when I left.
In general: If you are flexible with brands, you will not have any problems.

You can find the best variety in the city at Pacifico (Cordoba y Florida) and then Fallabella. They got the French lines, Bobbi B and MAC in the same place (no brainer). Other than that, you can also find the cheap lines (cheap for the US) in Farmacity but I would highly recommend to use the store "Pigmento" rather than Farmacity because they are cheaper and their lines are as good.

I personally stock a bunch each time before coming over here. You might find some cosmetic deals online at ALAMAULA.com a version of EBAY but you will need and Argentine friend for that. No Sephoras here, and even if we had some they would be a total rip off!!

As everyone said, stock up. Where do I shop here? I don't. The first and last time I bought some clinique powder here was 3 years ago and even then it cost nearly double what I would have paid back home. I always buy all of that when I'm back home and have built up a nice little stock pile of everything "beauty" you can imagine haha, it's like Preppers: prissy edition

Always buy anything that's not a food product, house, or car in the US and bring if you can, even if you have to pay extra baggage. It will be well worth it.

Thank you all so very much, I'll be stocking up before we fly down Sunday!!!

you are coming to a place where top branches are limited and if you get them after walking blocks, you must pay twice or being happy with the color you dont want.

you are coming to a place where top branches are limited and if you get them after walking blocks, you must pay twice or being happy with the color you dont want.

Regarding color -- also be aware that even when buying a foreign brand (ie MAC) they may not have the full range of colors here -- I use the palest color of powder, my compact from home cracked, tried to buy a replacement here, thought well, MAC relatively cheap at home can't be all that expensive here -- well, one it was (at the time, a few years ago) more than 2x the price at home, and they didn't carry the lightest shades of makeup.

Back