Where To Buy Decently Priced Fabric?

taliagirton

Registered
Hello, does anyone know where I can purchase fabric that is 100% linen for a decent price? It seems to be very expensive here due to the importation laws. I just need about 5 meters.

Thanks!

Best,
Talia

Just don´t go on Saturday. . . and don´t be afraid to bargain on fabric purchases.
Don't go late afternoon on Friday either, because at least half the stores will be closed. Sunday bites as well.

So you're really looking at 4 1/2 days to work with and you're going to have to look at a lot of crap before you find something that is what you're talking about. But it is the "garment district" where the shmatta business of Buenos Aires has its origins.

In Once some of the fabric stores seem to have specialty...I had to purchase enough fabric to make 70 tablecloths on tops...definately bargain and definately LOOK CLOSELY at the fabric. Two things that appear the same may actually not be and the quality very different. Either bring a sample or photo of the type of material you're looking for, or a friend who is fluent ,or who sews well, or preferably both! Paying in dollars may help you get a better price, (trading at least equal to the blue dollar or usually bette)r... Or try going to a high end tailor or dress maker and asking him/her where they get their fabrics from! You actually may be better off finding a friend who travels and having that person pick the fabric up abroad. The import taxes are as effective as the former Berlin Wall was. But here it is about keeping out high quality imported goods( instead of people)from entering the "local market", Argentina!

There are a lot of fabric stores in Once, but I think you will find quality hard to come by.

How do you define "decently priced"?

If you start with a good quality linen, usually made in Italy, Belgium, or Ireland, the initial cost per yard is not cheap.
In the USA, good quality western european linen is priced from $25 to more than $100 a yard, especially in small (under 20 or 30 yard) quantities.

Of course, if you go down to eastern european linen, or even chinese stuff, the prices fall. But it still costs around $12 to $15 a yard in most fabric stores.

In the USA, you have a textile tarif maximum of about 11%, and there are exceptions that can make it even less.

In Argentina, the textile tariff is around 26%- but that doesnt include customs brokerage fees, misc government fees, storage costs while processing, and, of course bribes.

So, at the very least, the landed cost of linen, even cheap chinese stuff, is going to be 15% more than in the USA. Probably more like 25%. Thats without any additional markup.
Thus, an Argentine retailer MUST sell you the fabric for at least a quarter more, before even considering the fact that the Argentine business taxes can approach 50%, that they must pay their employees for 13 months a year, and on and on.

My guess is that if you take the US price, and double it, that would be an equivalent cost and profit margin for an Argentine retailer.

All that said, there are several stores in Once that have unbelievably beautiful fabrics from all over the world, including good italian and belgian linen. But you have to pay to play.

Back