Where To Buy Grass-Fed Beef?

marcopolo

Registered
I am looking for grass-fed beef. Until recent years, grass-fed was the norm in Argentina but I understand that the majority of ranchers have adopted cereal feed-lots.

If anyone knows (rather than speculates) where I can buy grass-fed or mainly grass-fed beef, please let me know.

I am also after free-range eggs (preferably not from cereal fed chickens) and grass fed butter. All part of a paleo/primal eating regime which I have been on for the last year.

Jardin Organico sells "CoEco" eggs which are quite nice. They also sell their free range chicken. It is a bit tough, but that just lets you know it is actually free range! You can find the CoEco guys themselves at some of the organic markets in the area too, but Jardin delivers. Those are the best eggs I've found thus far.

http://www.jardinorganico.com.ar/?pag=productos_organicos&sec=Aves%20y%20huevos

The grass fed beef is hit or miss especially because even when they tell you it is grass fed it isn't (and you don't realize until that first bite).
In the past Las Lilas would sell beef from their own estancia, and I had good results (though expensive) there. I don't know if they still will do that, but perhaps worth a call.

They sell organic chicken, eggs and other products at the BA organic market, Peru & Chile, Tuesdays and Fridays. Last time I went the guy wanted AR$96 for a scrawny little chicken. I balked. He proceeded to tell me how much that was in euros and dollars. :rolleyes: I have no idea who is buying at that price. Half liters of organic milk and yogurt there cost around AR$30. The need to be well-off to eat true organic here is even more pronounced than in northern countries.

I live above one of the best butchers in the city. I buy the 'huevos de campo'. The chicken feed is probably GMO but the eggs are smaller and have a very bright orange yolk, which indicates the chickens were free range.

Pepe the butcher says his beef is grass fed and my friend from the campo says he can tell it is as well because grass fed beef has less marbling, less fat, is brighter in color, tastes gamier and is a bit tougher. Most of what is on the market is corn fed, but there is about 20% out there that is still grass-fed.

— Lapsed vegetarian

Vea. they guarantee their meat as pastizal. Careful meat/carne is just beef .

Vea is a supermarket chain. Is that what you are referring to? They make no mention grass fed on their website so I would be careful there unless you have a specific policy in your local branch.

Where did you see the policy you refer to mentioned?

Yes I meant VEA supermarket. My branch has a display on the wall saying all their carne is pastizal. I went as far as checking that they had their own contraccted farms but no further than that.

Back