Where to change dollars. Amex wont do it now.

nychick

Registered
so, I went to american express yesterday to change cash dollars into cash pesos and I was informed that a new law went into effect in June and Amex is now prohibited from providing exchange services (they will still cash travelers cheques). So, I thought to ask all of you.. besides ATMs, how have you solved the money exchange issue safely?
thanks.

Ask some expats in your neighborhood. What part of town do you live in? Near where I live, there's a travel agency with a small window in the back.

Banks can be a hassle, as you have to wait in the lines, bring your passport, etc...

I usually go to Banco Francia (between 1:30 and 2, or on wet days as dont have to wait in line for long) to change travellers cheques and cash, but there are alot of places that will change - just check you are not getting fake notes if not changing at bank.
Even the ice cream shop i go to will exchange then for 4 pesos to US$1, but you have to buy an ice cream, and i havent tried anything over US$100..

I'll sell you pesos if you want. How much do you want to buy, I'll be back in the city tonight.

CitiBank does this, if you have an account of the right type / level you can even do for free. Also - their ATMs dispense both pesos & dollars.

nychick said:
so, I went to american express yesterday to change cash dollars into cash pesos and I was informed that a new law went into effect in June and Amex is now prohibited from providing exchange services (they will still cash travelers cheques). So, I thought to ask all of you.. besides ATMs, how have you solved the money exchange issue safely?
thanks.
Where are you? There are places all over the city that are happy to change money, it is just a question of which is nearest to you.

Back