Where to change Pounds Sterling for Pesos.

pedroC

Registered
On Monday, I’m travelling to BsAs for a 3 week holiday and I’ve read in certain places that it’s hard to exchange Pounds for pesos. Has anyone recently done this in Capital and could you recommend the best places to get a good rate.

The US Dollar is woven into the fabric of Argentine life and is much more attractive for exchange than any other currency. To find out what's best for you will require a little research and a calculator.

Banco Piano in Buenos Aires will change GBP into ARS with very little fuss but often quite long queues. Check their website to find out if their rates of exchange are acceptable to you.

Clarin, La Nacion and other Argentine newspapers will tell you the latest USD exchange rates. Not so long ago I used to change GBP into USD whilst in the UK and change those dollars into pesos in Argentina. The benefit in presenting USD for exchange here far outweighed the double conversion costs. Check the difference between the two different approaches today and see if you think it would be worthwhile. In my UK locality, The Money Shop used to give the best dollar exchange rate and supplied crisp, new, sequentially-numbered USD100 bills which are premium for peso exchange.

Enjoy your stay!

The US Dollar is woven into the fabric of Argentine life and is much more attractive for exchange than any other currency. To find out what's best for you will require a little research and a calculator.

Banco Piano in Buenos Aires will change GBP into ARS with very little fuss but often quite long queues. Check their website to find out if their rates of exchange are acceptable to you.

Clarin, La Nacion and other Argentine newspapers will tell you the latest USD exchange rates. Not so long ago I used to change GBP into USD whilst in the UK and change those dollars into pesos in Argentina. The benefit in presenting USD for exchange here far outweighed the double conversion costs. Check the difference between the two different approaches today and see if you think it would be worthwhile. In my UK locality, The Money Shop used to give the best dollar exchange rate and supplied crisp, new, sequentially-numbered USD100 bills which are premium for peso exchange.

Enjoy your stay!

Thank you for your thorough advice. I’ve looked at doing the double conversion and it looks like I’d be better off going the direct £ to pesos route, but that is if the rates shown are genuine. For example I’ve looked at the website of an exchange house in the microcentro and it has a very favourable rate. My only concern is, if the rate on offer is genuine - what they are offering is a little over the official rate.
I’ll take your advice and bring crisp notes.
Thanks again

Attachments

• 7FB1C7D6-BFCC-4D47-B4FE-44DD5475D493.jpeg
    7FB1C7D6-BFCC-4D47-B4FE-44DD5475D493.jpeg
    882.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your thorough advice. I’ve looked at doing the double conversion and it looks like I’d be better off going the direct £ to pesos route, but that is if the rates shown are genuine. For example I’ve looked at the website of an exchange house in the microcentro and it has a very favourable rate. My only concern is, if the rate on offer is genuine - what they are offering is a little over the official rate.
I’ll take your advice and bring crisp notes.
Thanks again

You Exchange place Alpe, offers $20.10 per Us Dollar , I changed at $20.50 on 22/3/18, so please recalculate ...May change your decision... Never believe what you read on a web site, here plus the rates change daily

It's always best to exchange pounds to USD in the UK, and only $100 bills as lower denominations will get lesser rates. Good Luck!

And do not change large quantities in one go, it is dangerous since cashiers here are sometimes related to crooks that will jump on you as soon as you leave the business premises. Happened many times here.

I am from the UK and regularly stay here for three months. The best way of getting money here is Azimo. Just check their rates if you don't believe me. You can earn yourself a tenner (and me to) if you join with code FRANKF1,
Check on their site there are thirteen places you can pick up money, It's secure and you will not get fake notes, simply order using your debit card and pick up from Argenpur stations using your passport.

I am from the UK and regularly stay here for three months. The best way of getting money here is Azimo. Just check their rates if you don't believe me. You can earn yourself a tenner (and me to) if you join with code FRANKF1,
Check on their site there are thirteen places you can pick up money, It's secure and you will not get fake notes, simply order using your debit card and pick up from Argenpur stations using your passport.

Hey Bob - I do use Azimo, and it’s great. Also use WorldRemit, who have a slightly better rate at the moment. The only thing is that there’s a monthly limit, and as we’re planning a family trip to Iguazú, I need more than these companies allow, hence me bringing cash.

Back