Where To Exchange Pesos Back Into Usd (Or Something Usable)

new2ba

Registered
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, new to South America and I know this must have been asked before but I'm posting this because I know that the situation in Argentina changes all the time in regards to the exchange rate situation.

So basically what I'm wondering is if I have a bunch of leftover Argentine Pesos, where can I exchange them at a favorable rate back into USD, or Euros, or anything really that's usable? I don't care if it's black market or gray market, and I don't care if the only place is across the border into a neighboring country. By favorable rate obviously I mean something better than the black market rate... I mean, I'd like to get as many USD/whatever for my leftover Pesos as possible. I don't want to fuss around with forms, government sanctioned exchange houses, or anything of the sort. In fact, I prefer to make a profit, if possible. What are the options? Thanks in advance!

Hi all and thanks for the replies. I appreciate everyone's sincerity, but I'm a bit stubborn because rumors persist that there are people profiting from the black market exchange rate, though it may be a less than legal practice. The million dollar question is where, in which country or location will people give you back USD (or some other S. American currency) at a rate that's less obviously not as good as the official rate, but also not as "bad" as the blue rate.. thereby making a profit.. anyone ?

Hi all and thanks for the replies. I appreciate everyone's sincerity, but I'm a bit stubborn because rumors persist that there are people profiting from the black market exchange rate, though it may be a less than legal practice. The million dollar question is where, in which country or location will people give you back USD (or some other S. American currency) at a rate that's less obviously not as good as the official rate, but also not as "bad" as the blue rate.. thereby making a profit.. anyone ?

Just curious how many pesos do you have? I wouldn't call you stubborn as much as misinformed. If there were such a magic place to cash in your pesos at better than blue rates, there would be hundreds of threads about it on this forum.

And don't fret about government forms, etc. No amount of forms is going to get you the official rate.

It's blue or nothing, I'm afraid.

Welcome to Argentina.

I suppose you can buy Uruguayan property from an Argentine in Pesos, then sell the property in Uruguay in USD and make a "profit"
Yes, I have just such an opportunity starting from 83,000 ARS pesos
No, it wont give you a better rate than the blue market, and you'll have to pay for notary publics, etc, etc and wait for the land to appreciate to make an actual profit

Only in Dreamland.

You talked of less than US$2000 , your best choice is to go to Florida st. near the hotels and go Cambio , cambio ... and find an unsuspecting tourist and offer him/her 11 pesos per dollar...!!

Seriously if you may save 10 % max lets say US$200 bucks ... Again buy 3 or 4 items to resell at cost to friends or relatives in USA, ask for encargos for sizes and colors!

I have a lot of pesos I need to get rid of in the next month and a half. I've started drinking really expensive wine, eating out at nice restaurants, taking taxis and going shopping for stuff to potentially sell down the line back in the U.S. Turns out Buenos Aires is a pretty nice place to live when you can afford to do things like that all the time! In my next life, I'll come back down here as a wealthy retiree or trust fund brat. I suggest you go to a cueva or start living the high life unless you're willing to try to Ebay/Craigslist a bunch of crap later. Yes, it's stab in the gut to think of all that hard-earned money you're basically throwing down the toilet, but if you're not willing to go to a cueva or be a leather mule, you might as well have some fun.

Another option would be to donate what you have left to a worthy charitable organization. Pesos may be worthless to you, but they can be put to good use in Argentina by people who need them. This is probably what we'll do with what we have left at the end, and we're currently looking into charities, so if anyone has recommendations, please leave them here.

Back