Where to find good coffee

GreenEgg

Registered
I'm loving Buenos Aires so far. Great vibe and architecture, but, from what I've found so far, the coffee leaves much to be desired. They don't even do espressos, it seems. What they call espresso is something like an Americano. And a flat white is like a watery latte -- you can't even taste the coffee. I've just come from six months in Colombia, where they have delicious, strong-tasting coffee. Does anybody know a specialty cafe or something, where they serve good coffee? I haven't tried Juan Valdez here yet; hopefully they do it the Colombian way.

Blanca Café on Sinclair. Amazing (imo, and the endless line seems to believe the same)

I'm loving Buenos Aires so far. Great vibe and architecture, but, from what I've found so far, the coffee leaves much to be desired. They don't even do espressos, it seems. What they call espresso is something like an Americano. And a flat white is like a watery latte -- you can't even taste the coffee. I've just come from six months in Colombia, where they have delicious, strong-tasting coffee. Does anybody know a specialty cafe or something, where they serve good coffee? I haven't tried Juan Valdez here yet; hopefully they do it the Colombian way.
No, this is a real thing – I recently had a conversation with a local friend about how the quality of coffee has gone down (as the cost of goods gets more expensive)

I've opted to drink more americanos/long blacks to actually to be able to taste the coffee. As for coffee shops, Clorindo is vetted. Borja and Bicho locations are usually pretty good, and Surry Hills in Palermo.

There's a Juan Valdez that opened up recently in Recoleta on General Las Heras... it's Colombian coffee. I haven't gone there yet, but I looked up the price of beans. Holy cow are they expensive. Like 45.000 pesos for a 1/2 kilo/1pound bag. I usually just buy Starbucks beans to brew at home because it's at least consistent and not torrado, but even that's gotten expensive.

I'm loving Buenos Aires so far. Great vibe and architecture, but, from what I've found so far, the coffee leaves much to be desired. They don't even do espressos, it seems. What they call espresso is something like an Americano.
Ask for a Ristretto if you want a short shot that is similar to the espresso served in other countries. Not everyone will do it, but many do.

Places like Lab Cafe have been serving, teaching and spreading the word of other coffee techniques for many years. https://shop.labcafe.com.ar/productos2/training2/

Last edited:
There is a good quality tostado coffee from Cabrales available at Coto and many spermarkets and is,about 7000 per 250 grs. And also Cafe Martinez has a goid one italian style don't know how much it must be now.

This post defies reality I'm sorry hahaha. Colombia has good coffee?? and you think a "flat white" is something characteristically bad about Buenos Aires? You've got it all reversed! You're complaining about people trying to make actual good coffee and longing for burnt robusta in its place. Buenos Aires has a ton of modern Australian/NZ style coffee places and that's a great thing because oldschool italian style barebones coffee is horrid in comparison.

Back