where to get my iphone 4s unlocked

Superjr137

Registered
hi, i just moved here to buenos aires about 3 days ago and i got a sim card for my phone but now i found out that my phone is not unlocked. i was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a place i could get my iphone unlocked. thanks

There is NO software unlock for the iPhone 4S other than the one provided free of charge for out of contract customers by your service provider. There is an available hardware hack using a replacement sim card tray and a shaved micro sim that makes use of the emergency calling feature of your iPhone to bypass the carrier lock. (note: use of this hardware hack constitutes a felony in most countries but I don't there has been anyone prosecuted yet.) Your best bet is to ask your carrier in your home country to unlock your phone if you have paid it off in full.

che said:

I doubt that the "mac daddy" can do anything other than what I mentioned other than charge a fee for it. There is a large community of very very very skilled crackers working on the OP's issue without result....so far!

That's exactly right, Philip - and just to expand on what you've outlined, since this is a subject with many misconceptions:

I do software unlocks for iPhones as part of my Mac business.
Unfortunately, neither the iPhone 4 nor the 4S can currently be software unlocked (by me, or by anybody else). The baseband has not yet been cracked by the hackers that write the tools that the rest of the world uses.
Only the older (3GS, 3G, and original) models can currently be unlocked with software.

The "hardware hack" that Philip refers to is what's known as an interposer SIM.
These are small chips that get inserted alongside your existing SIM card and interrupt the network check, thereby allowing you to use the phone on foreign networks. The most popular ones are made by Gevey.
Unfortunately, these have their caveats too - namely, that they only work on older modem firmwares. If you bought your phone over a year ago and have not upgraded the operating system since then, this card may work for you. Otherwise, probably not. You can check the modem firmware in Settings > General > Info, and compare the version number against Gevey's website.

Finally, we come to the final type of unlock: the carrier / network unlock. Also known as an IMEI unlock, since the IMEI (this is sort-of like the serial number of the phone) gets added to Apple's database of unlocked handsets, so when you plug it into iTunes, it checks with Apple's servers, which authorizes the phone to be unlocked.
This is done when you fulfill the terms of the contract on the phone (for example, 2 years with AT&T) or if you pay the early termination fee.
If that's not an option for you, I do happen to know of a couple of people here in BA who do this type of unlock.. they charge a lot of money for it (650 - 800 pesos, last time I checked) since I assume they basically have to bribe someone inside the phone network to add your phone to the unlock list.

The best solution is to simply buy a brand new factory unlocked iPhone 4S directly from Apple - it's US$549. That way, you'll never have problems with software upgrades, being found out, accidentally getting re-locked, etc as you might with the other methods.

I'd also like to point out the difference between jailbreaking and unlocking, since these terms are often conflated:
Jailbreaking an iPhone allows you to install non Apple-approved apps onto it, such as themes and tweaks. It gives you "root" access to the file system, so you can install things Apple doesn't allow you to normally.
Unlocking an iPhone allows it to be used on carriers other than the one you bought it from. For example, to allow an AT&T-locked phone to be used on the networks in BA - Movistar, Claro, etc.
The two terms are often mixed up because in order to perform a software unlock, one normally has to first jailbreak it. But jailbreaking is far easier than unlocking. All current Apple iOS devices (iPads, iPhones, iPods, and Apple TVs) can currently be jailbroken except for the iPhone 5 and the Apple TV 3, whereas only older models of iPhones can be unlocked (as I first stated above).

Whew! I hope this clears up some confusion.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need any Mac installations, upgrades, minor repairs, or training, as that is the core of my business.

Josh Johnson
the MacDaddy
[email protected]

@Superjr137, your iPhone still under contract? probably is, since its a 4s, ... but if it is not you can call your provider and request it be unlocked. In the US, AT&T started doing that earlier this year so you can factory unlock any iPhones that are no longer under contract.

Hey superjr137, send me Your IMEI number by pm. I will let you know if it can be unlocked and the price.

Back