Where To Get Plain Greek Style Yogurt Or Organic Plain?

arielm

Registered
we've only been here 2 weeks, but i can't figure out where to get not-super-sweet yogurt. I lived on greek style yogurt in the US (organic to boot) - i'd be so happy to give my kids something akin to plain yogurt and add a little sweet stuff but what i'm finding is so sugary. Any alternatives? Thank you!

Look for Dahi, in the clear glass pots. Can get it everywhere, plain and plain without sugar, also comes with fruit. Pretty good.

Delimarket https://www.facebook.com/delimarketarg have a few branches around the city. They have natural yoghurt or at least did have a few months ago.

Doesn't exist here. Your best bet is plain yogurt from La Choza. They sell their products at Buenos Aires Market and at the Chacarita market on Saturdays. It's not strained, however, so you'll have to strain the whey out yourself to get a greek style yogurt.

I buy "yoghurt griego" in the vanilla flavor several times a week, either at the Disco or even the super mercado Chino one block from me on Ayacucho between Las Heras and V. Lopez. But I'm sure you can get it almost anywhere. Nice texture and just a little sweet. You can buy plain, unsweetened yoghurt but its very are to find and I've only seen it in one brand--Activa. It comes in tiny containers.

Make it yourself. Read the ingredients of the "Yogur Griego" or Dahi and you will see that they are anything but what you are looking for. Thickened with gelatin and lord knows what else instead of just strained (this is also important if you are looking for the health benefits of Greek Yogurt vs plain). Also, making it yourself is a lot more convenient than trekking across town to El Galpón or wherever else (been there, done that), and a yogurt machine will pay for itself in no time if you have a family. Seriously, once you start doing this, you will see that it's a no-brainer! After being shown the light by some people on this forum a while back when I met them for something else, I have become a homemade yogurt evangelist - indeed, I am lending my machine to someone at the moment to get them started.

If you have an oven light, you may be able to do it that way (people on the internet report success, but I don't have one, so I don't know). Use Larga Vida (UAT) milk to skip the whole heating and cooling step that seems to be where people go wrong. If I were elsewhere, I'd want to use organic milk (which doesn't come in UAT as far as I know), but unfortunately it's cost-prohibitive for me here right now: http://www.elrinconorganico.com.ar/joomla/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=223&category_id=26&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=42 - I'm currently using Sancor Leche Entera from Coto which works just fine and is around 7 pesos/L at the moment.

Tip: buy a large bowl that fits the yogurt maker, as you can make double the quantity each time that way, and don't have to deal with the mess of getting it in and out of the little provided pots when you strain it.

Agree with homeinbuenosaires. We've been making our own for about 5 years now, although we go through alot (ballpark 6 Lt a week) and we do not have a yoghurt machine. Also, we only strain it on rare occasions since we've found we don't get great yields from the Greek method here. Still, anything is better than the sweet crap they sell in the supers.

Also, not mentioned here, but the arabic/armenian stores around Scalabrini Ortiz almost always have laben, which is the same thing, but its pretty pricey.

The brand is Dahi, and it comes in little glass pots. I believe Coto and Carrefour don't carry the brand, but Disco and Jumbo do as well as smaller chino stores. Careful to read the label though. The Dahi natural comes in sweetened and unsweetened though they both have the same light blue label. The sweetened differs in that it has cubes of sugar on the front (I know...).
And please do stay away from the "Griego" brand of yogurt. There is nothing Greek about it, and so far a sugar goes it is one of the worst offenders.
Otherwise, unless you make it yourself I haven't seen a real Greek yogurt option in BA...

Back