Which Party Will Save the Citizens?

I cannot understand this statement from the article "The national debt now stands at US $382 billion as of September 2022, which amounts to nearly 90 percent of Argentina’s GDP."

The referenced link to the CEIC data does not state 90%. I was going to ask here in the forums, but first decided to ask chat ai

US $382 billion
Chat AI:
Thank you for providing the source. According to the data from CEIC, as of September 2022, Argentina's government debt was USD 310.7 billion, and its nominal GDP was USD 394.5 billion, resulting in a government debt-to-GDP ratio of approximately 78.7%.

ME:
Thank you. So is it possible the following linked article is wrong that referenced that same data? This article states "The national debt now stands at US $382 billion as of September 2022, which amounts to nearly 90 percent of Argentina’s GDP." https://hir.harvard.edu/argentinas-economic-downfall-which-party-will-save-the-citizens/

Chat AI:
Yes, it appears that the article you provided may have inaccurately reported the government debt-to-GDP ratio for Argentina. According to the data from CEIC, as mentioned earlier, Argentina's government debt was USD 310.7 billion, and its nominal GDP was USD 394.5 billion in September 2022, resulting in a government debt-to-GDP ratio of approximately 78.7%.

I'd argue both are wrong. The only true figure for Argentina's GDP is in pesos, which, shock, isn't easily obtainable when Googling. I assume this is to prevent people from seeing just how badly the Ks have managed things.

The last time GDP data was accurate in dollars was in 2018, and it was 524.80 Billion dollars according to the World Bank. By using their reported shrinking/growth percentage, NOT actual dollar figures, we would get the following:

- GDP shrunk in 2019 by 2% (i.e. 514.304 Billion)
- GDP shrunk in 2020 by 9.9% (i.e. 463.388 Billion)
- GDP grew in 2021 by 10.4% (i.e. 509.727 Billion)

Yet the World Bank also says that Argentina's GDP in 2021 was 487.23 Billion which is a variation of 22.5 Billion dollars.

Obviously the smaller number is closer to reality, but you can't trust either when there is literally dozens of exchange rates for a dollar and inflation is hitting triple digits. The only thing we can say for sure is Argentina is lying about macroeconomic figures, and that GDP will shrink again this year, something we're seeing as digital payment growth in peso terms was less than inflation, and $1,000 ARS is worth even less now than a year ago.

Why would anybody lend money to Argentina? Might as well just give it to Argentina.

Back