Which State?

jeff1234

Registered
I'm getting conflicting legal advice about which state to have my will rewritten in.
Currently I have no residence in the U.S. Some attorneys are saying that I should have it done in Florida which was where I lived last.
Others are telling me that it needs to be done in Chicago because that's where I get my mail and that address appears on my passport and Fed Taxes.
Does anyone have experience with this issue?

jeff. i asked an attorney today his response was it will probably be in the state of you executor. usually a will is a will and will go through the most convenient process. hope this simple response helps

i wrote my own will while having what turned out to be a heart attack. it had a notary stamp with 2 witnesses to my signature. i gave a copy to my excutor, my accountant, and have a copy in my files at home. works for me

......works for me
Unfortunately, the people it has to work for are the ones you leave behind. If you are legally domiciled, live in and hold all your assets in the same place then - provided that one place isn't Argentina - what you've done should work and it's exactly what I did before my life became more complicated.

Most expats, snowbirds, nomads etc. live more legally complex lives than most other people - whether they realise it or not - and I don't regret seeking, receiving and acting on paid-for advice.

I'm currently working on this and am waiting on a full consultation with a lawyer. But essentially what I've been told is I will need to have two wills. One in Argnetina for assets here and one in the US for assets in the US. Will update with more info once I have the full consultation.

looking forward to it. would like to know more. thanks in advance

Back