whistling....

NomadTrader

Registered
Random post here...

Does anyone know or have a sense for how whistling is viewed in Argentina?

On a very, very rare occasion, I (rather quietly) will whistle a little tune to myself while walking in public. I'll get a song stuck in my head, and I think it just comes out subconsciously. -again I need to emphasize this is done at very low volume.

I will get strange, unpleasant looks for this and so I have conditioned myself to not do this.

I've travelled to dozens and dozens of countries and its the first time that I've noticed a response to whistling from strangers in public. - but it has happened to me a few time now.

Is this considered rude or impolite here in Argentina?

It is an old fashioned thing, used to be more common. I guess if you get weird looks it might be that either you are being very loud, or you are among very young people. It is not considered rude.

Random post here...

Does anyone know or have a sense for how whistling is viewed in Argentina?

On a very, very rare occasion, I (rather quietly) will whistle a little tune to myself while walking in public. I'll get a song stuck in my head, and I think it just comes out subconsciously. -again I need to emphasize this is done at very low volume.

I will get strange, unpleasant looks for this and so I have conditioned myself to not do this.

I've travelled to dozens and dozens of countries and its the first time that I've noticed a response to whistling from strangers in public. - but it has happened to me a few time now.

Is this considered rude or impolite here in Argentina?
Probably all wondering why you are so happy and carefree when the rest of Argentina is thinking about where their next meal is coming from.

Every encargado on my block whistles/hums a tune while working. I hear numerous people whistling on the street. Not sure why you're drawing glances but I've heard more people whistling and singing in the streets here in Buenos Aires than anyplace else I've lived, so rest assured you're not doing anything abnormal.

It is an old fashioned thing, used to be more common. I guess if you get weird looks it might be that either you are being very loud, or you are among very young people. It is not considered rude.
Thank you for your response, Nikad.

Other than personal curiosity, my only concern was that it might be considered rude.

cheers.

There's no delicate way to say this but: can you ask a trustworthy friend to listen to you whistle and tell you honestly whether you are whistling in tune? Sometimes the whistler is unable to detect the timelessness of their own whistle and that might be what is attracting the attention. Sorry but somebody had to say it!

There's no delicate way to say this but: can you ask a trustworthy friend to listen to you whistle and tell you honestly whether you are whistling in tune? Sometimes the whistler is unable to detect the timelessness of their own whistle and that might be what is attracting the attention. Sorry but somebody had to say it!
My good sir,

Critique my singing voice if must, but whistling? It is simply about the joy and love in my heart.

:-?

When I was young, up to the seventees, I remember different kinds of whistling used to be very common. There was also a kind of whistle from men towards women that was meant to be a "piropo" (compliment). Nowadays, society here looks like a whole new world.

Those of us who hum, whistle, or sing outdoors do so because we connect with the joy within and want to express it. We don't have to care what others think about us.

I love hearing others singing to themselves. It tells me they feel their joy and want to express it.

I always have a song or a tango melody pop into my head and then I walk in time with it.

I wouldn't be the person I am today without music.

Back