Who is the Alexis de Tocqueville of South America?

You might find Sarmiento's book (kind of diary) about his experience in the US of interest. Of course he writes from the perspective of an Argentine who was eager to bring progress to Argentina.

I've heard about Las Venas Abiertas, maybe I should read it in Spanish just to improve my vocabulary. Good recommendation.

But I remember when I first read Democracy in America, it was like an adventure, he was traveling across the US, meeting settlers, indians, etc. It was just a great book to read, written by an outsider, and his view on why the US was the way it was. I'd love to read something like that for South America.

@sergio - is the Sarmiento book you mention Facundo?

I've heard about Las Venas Abiertas, maybe I should read it in Spanish just to improve my vocabulary. Good recommendation.

But I remember when I first read Democracy in America, it was like an adventure, he was traveling across the US, meeting settlers, indians, etc. It was just a great book to read, written by an outsider, and his view on why the US was the way it was. I'd love to read something like that for South America.

I forget the name. I read it a number of years ago. It was an account of his years in the US. It was quite interesting.

You can improve your Spanish with the Selection listed in the link... Pâra entender el Pensamiento de latinoamérica.. enjoy

Back