Who Likes Living In Chacarita?

lucha54

Registered
Saw a flat today on Jorge Newbery between Charlone and Roseti... I was hoping to get the neighbors opinions on life in this area.
The flat was cool but the ad said "Colegiales" and I've been here too long to fall for that old trick!! Still, considering it if we can get some positives about the zone. So...

Safety? Anything cool to do nearby (besides El Galpon)? Frequency of buses? Accessibility? We also have a car so wondering if that is better/worse.

Thanks for your input!

Chacarita, also known as Palermo dead, its a growing area of the city, as well as Colegiales (where my sister lives). Both are gentrifying a lot, basically lots of middle class families are leaving the place to young upper middle class. Its not 100% safe yet, but definetely is far from what it was 10 years ago. Its blooming, like Palermo did once, like happened with San Telmo.
If you have a car, its a perfectly safe place, quiet and you will always find a spot on the street. One of the good things (changing, though) is the low population density.

I LOVE Chacarita! Tons of interior designers/artists and architects work there, especially on the other side or Corrientes in front of the cemetery. The police actually have a training camp on jorge newbery in front of the cemetery ... I always felt safe. Transportation is great too. You can walk or bike to Palermo in 10minutes. Great barrio.

Matiasba : Palermo Dead , I love it.

Lucha: If you have a car go there at night.If you like what you see go for it. It is always nice to live in an up and coming neighbourhood.
There is a small villa in Av Forest around the train station area but I have not heard any bad stories about it. To me it would not be an dealbreaker.Go there,drive around and see if you like the larger surroundings. To me it seems as safe an area as any.

The cemetery puts a bad stigma on the neighborhood for a lot of locals here for some reason (Recoleta cemetary doesn't do that!!!). I would hesitate to buy a place there due to the fact that it might not be easy to sell at a later point. It's hard to know if a neighborhood will be up and coming in Buenos Aires. They said that about the Abasto, and well, it's not so nice now. What I know is that at night Chacarita is scary looking, but there is probably not a lot of delinquency there. The thing is, the area has tons of transportation to all over the city and it has lots of cheap real estate. You would think it would be built up overnight, but the place really does have a stigma; I'm not kidding.

It is fine and a true neighborhood feel, just avoid the areas close to railroads - during the day and night -

Is there an element of snobbery around where one lives in Cap Fed?
I mean, would one prefer to say that one lived in Chacarita when one actually lived in say, Belgrano?

Is there an element of snobbery around where one lives in Cap Fed?
I mean, would one prefer to say that one lived in Chacarita when one actually lived in say, Belgrano?

I think it might be. The traditional neighborhood of upper classes always have been Recoleta, then Palermo Chico, and lately Belgrano. In the last decade or so, expanded to Palermo. I live in Barrio Norte but I dont care at all, but if you want to empathize with upper classes, and you say you live, lets say, in Caballito, or Villa Crespo, or San Telmo, traditional middle class neighborhoods, they look at you different, at least it used to be like that, not my generation (young) but our dads and grampas thought like that.

Yeah, a bit like insisting one lives in Belgravia, when in fact one lives in Peckham :)

"Beverly Hills Adjacent"

-In LA this means anywhere from touching Beverly Hills to being 3 miles down La Cienega in Baldwin Hills, halfway to Inglewood and with views of jackpumps slurping up crude out your window.

Back