Why Does Everyone Pick On Argentina?

Does everyone pick on Argentina?

• Yes, because they resist the Neo-Liberals

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • No, Argentina is a suffering from delusions of grandeur along with a healthy measure of paranoia

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • Not everyone picks on Argentina - just the bloody Yanquis

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Joe

Registered
The President blames ‘local vultures’ for speculative attacks on the economy: http://www.buenosair...on-the-economy-

I believe this refers to American Airlines and their 90 day restrictions. But isn't American Airlines just another Yanqui Vulture. What is all this about local vultures?

BTW, I just booked my AA flight to Miami for $82 (plus 20K miles).

The other day I read this article and to my surprise, in the graph, the tenth country of radicaciones is the US. More than Mexico, for instance, or any centro-american. Unexpected.
There are tons of spaniards, by the way, who came here with the crisis, and I dont mean the argentines with spanish citizenship that migrated in 2001, but curiously they dont even register.

How did you manage to get a ticket to Miami for 82 clams? I've got a AA return ticket that stops in Miami in April. Wonder if I could get a one way return ticket back for that rate? Yesterday was the first time I heard an Argentine say the word Yanqui and found the pronunciation amusing "Shanqui".

The other day I read this article and to my surprise, in the graph, the tenth country of radicaciones is the US. More than Mexico, for instance, or any centro-american. Unexpected.
There are tons of spaniards, by the way, who came here with the crisis, and I dont mean the argentines with spanish citizenship that migrated in 2001, but curiously they dont even register.

Matias very true what you comment, US new residents in Argentina amount to about 600 aprox. per year on a 10 year average!
Also 82,5 of the new residents in Argentina came from Paraguay, Bolivia and Peru! ( in the last deacade)

Matias very true what you comment, US new residents in Argentina amount to about 600 aprox. per year on a 10 year average!
Also 82,5 of the new residents in Argentina came from Paraguay, Bolivia and Peru! ( in the last deacade)

Still, statistically insignificant in a country of 40 million people.

Argentines have long blamed the US for their problems. It's a legacy of Peronism. It's a convenient subterfuge for corrupt politicians and their compliant "constituents". The Argentine people are not especially good at introspection. I believe that it is a reflection of the superficiality of the culture. On the surface BA looks sophisticated but it is more patina than substance. At a far more significant level Porteños are obsessed with status, image, bragging, outdoing each other. There is less than minimal sense of community, little concern for the well being of the nation. It is a country without much of an identity that asserts itself in negativity and finger pointing rather than in the constructive pursuits of nation building. The political system, being closed and corrupt (especially in the poorer provinces where feudalistic caudillismo rules), excludes those capable individuals who could lead the nation to prosperity and more genuine democracy. It is a nation forever trapped in its own narrowness and limitations, its refusal to look beyond the confines of its prejudices. If Argentina did not have vast natural and human resources, few people would bother to express their disappointment over the current state of affairs. The shocking state of economic and social decay that exists today highlights the nation's ongoing failures. In reality, though, few foreigners think or care about Argentina. Argentines arrogantly think that it matters to Americans and Europeans when in reality it was off their radar to begin with.

Argentines do indeed have an inflated opinion of their country's importance on a global level.

Argentines have long blamed the US for their problems. It's a legacy of Peronism....

I think part of it has to do with during the cold war (especially 60's and 70's) the United States had an interventionist foreign policy (possibly came about after the Cuban Missile crisis when they got spooked a bit) and so they actively interfered in the domestic policies and democratic process of many of the south and central american countries.

I think Cristina lived through this during her "formative" years and now she sees the evil hand of the U.S. in everything bad that happens to Argentina.
Despite the fact that the cold war is over and the U.S. and its foreign policy has no reason to care that much about what happens in Argentina or many other south american countries (although Columbia has received U.S. "help" for their drug problem, not sure what they the U.S. makes of Venezuela).

In a sense you can understand her stance, although I think it is misguided, just my thoughts on it

I think Cristina lived through this during her "formative" years and now she sees the evil hand of the U.S. in everything bad that happens to Argentina.
Despite the fact that the cold war is over and the U.S. and its foreign policy has no reason to care that much about what happens in Argentina or many other south american countries (although Columbia has received U.S. "help" for their drug problem, not sure what they the U.S. makes of Venezuela).
In a sense you can understand her stance, although I think it is misguided, just my thoughts on it

Does anybody (except the zombies who applaud her) truly believe that Crisitna is "anti-US"?? She is not in love with the U.S. however she loves the wealth that it produces. She uses the U.S. and calls them imperialist, evil empire, etc, etc to rile up her populist followers. For populism and demagoguery to work there has to be an "enemy" and a "strong arm" leader to defend the homeland against the enemy's intervention in the "patria soberana". Anybody who can't see this reality is about as naÏve as you can get. This has been done for thousands of years and unfortunatley it still works in some places on this planet, Argentina being one of them.

Back