Why Pay Rent?

PaulBee

Registered
For those of you who pay rent I ask why you don´t try to default on your obligations? Is it easier
for a foreigner to get evicted - or is there a penalty of some type ? Are you just paying because
you´re honest ? Are you concerned about your credit rating?

You can likely tell I´ve found it hard to collect from some tenants, I pay a professional property
manager, a real estate agent and a lawyer who draws up the contract. I usually require a
guarantor with real estate. I still sometimes have to wait years for my rent. By the way,
the dead beats are all well off people: they go to an expensive part of Spain with their
child for the season. They send their child to one of Buenos Aires´ most expensive schools.
They have a company and play a shell game with their debts,,,

Sorry to be negative, but would most appreciate any input.

I pay because I don't steal. I respect property rights. It's as simple as that. That's the way I was raised, and I believe it's correct.

We know why guarantees are required here, but as you can see, even the best people can do to offset hurtful laws causes stress on that part of the economic system at best. Individually, owners have a heavy burden to rent, in order to profit from their investment if they are not living in the place or selling it. Why is the economy so screwed up? Just look at the stupid laws that keep people from doing business with each other, including choosing who to do business with, or ceasing to do business with someone and evicting them from a place you own if they don't pay up or meet the requirements of contract.

Too many people here don't give one tiny rat's ass about anyone outside of themselves or their immediate family. Sin verguenza. The law here is supposed to protect poor people from rich people, but the reality seems to be quite a bit different.

Try renting to expats if you can find someone living here long term. It's possible that you are going to find some expats who won't pay you and do the same thing the locals do, but I think your percentage of success would likely go up.

I have friends who run, and have run, temporary apartment management services here. They do not rent to any Argentino because of the problems they cause either through damages or not paying and getting stuck with non-paying tenants - yeah, even with temporary contracts.

This is one reason I would never consider buying property here strictly as an investment, not until laws and attitudes change. If I had enough money, I'd think about buying my own place, but I would look at it strictly as a home and never an investment and I'd have to have a lot of money before I got to that point.

Only vaguely on topic, the other day I took the subway and the barriers were open as part of some labor protest. I was waiting in line for Sube and in about 5 minutes, watched a ton of people enter the system - of which only two people went through the open barrier, i.e. without paying.

This in Argentina, albeit in Barrio Norte. Was incredibly gratifying - just nice - to observe.

I rent without garantia. And I pay cos its the only way I know - to be honest and pay your debtors in time.

But I have personally seen v well to do Argies delaying rent and thinking its some joke or something.

I have also seen lower middle class Argies being v punctual with rent.

Long term unfurnished typical rentals require a guarantee, salary receipt, etc, etc, etc because of multiple horror stories. Now if people renting temporary short term without these requirements started to behave in the same way, landlords will start to ask for all of this as well. Most tenants pay because is the right thing to do ( fortunately )

When a tenant is being a j**k you have to use other creative ways to get they to vacate your property, a lawyer, real estate form, etc will not be able to help much.

My Argie wife has always thought we should invest in a rental property here. Stories like yours have prevented me from doing so. Still, in her mind there is no better investment than real estate. I say we have saved ourselves a lot of headache by not buying here.
In most places if you don't pay your rent, you are on the street. Here you get a slap on the back and get to wear the honor badge of "vivo."

Tell us your story for the benefit of those who think it is a good idea to buy a rental property here.

Can you be a bit more specific with your issue? You have a property manager but it sounds like they do not collect the rent. You must be doing the finding and renting then? This sounds like short-term. Usually short term is collected up-front, unless it is for something like 6 months - which by the way I believe is the longest short-term rental agreement you can make legally.

What are your terms for rental contracts?

GS

Long term unfurnished typical rentals require a guarantee, salary receipt, etc

Mostly yes. But I got mine without supplying any of those. And neither i paid whole rent in advance. Just 2 months rent as security deposit. This happened cos the owner is from abroad and so am I. And I decided to pay him USD to save him and self lot of trouble.

So if someone has a rental property, give it to a foreigner without garantia than a local with garantia. And ask for rent in usd

Back