Why Still No Buenos Aires-Colonia Bridge?

yd_mtl

Registered
From what I understand, there have been proposals and studies for a bridge linking the Buenos Aires metropolitan area with the area in Uruguay right around Colonia in order to facilitate trade within the Mercosur region, but such a bridge has not been built yet. Is it not built yet because of recurring Argentine instability, or due to the sheer expense and the engineering challenges, or because two studies in the late 1990s came up with two different estimates of tolls and how to finance those (leading to many complications), or for all those reasons? I mean, projects with similar engineering challenges like the Chunnel linking England and France, the Oresund project linking Denmark and Sweden, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel in Virginia (USA), and the Lake Ponchartrain Bridge in Louisiana (USA) have long since been completed.

Its not for the money. There were various projects, but none of them prospered. It would be a HUGE change, imagine the first bridge over the Rio de la Plata in its history. A change for everyone, and if I dont remember wrong the main reason why it didnt prosper the last one, in the 90s, was for environmental reasons. Same to aeroisla, the 1995 idea of moving aeroparque to an island in the river to sell the land where it is now to have more towers with beautiful views.

And of course, it is a HUGE work, with huge investment needed, with a huge business to control, with huge changes at all levels.

All in all, I think its ok as it is now.

Reactions: Joe
It's only 50 odd km's... still a road bridge would be disastrous with the portenos driving on it!

Maybe after the High speed railway from cordoba, rosario and mar del plata is built they can build one to colonia too......

From what I understand, there have been proposals and studies for a bridge linking the Buenos Aires metropolitan area with the area in Uruguay right around Colonia in order to facilitate trade within the Mercosur region, but such a bridge has not been built yet.

The terms "Mercosur" and "facilitate trade" are nice in theory, but the practical implementation of the market shows that its just theory...

Maybe the Chinese can build a high speed railway line from BA to Rio via Montevideo and Sao Paulo in exchange for soya beans?

Ever think the fellow who owns the Buque Bus would fight such a bridge ? Or the problems for ship traffic ? Or the additional expense for customs to have lines of cars to check ? Who would maintain it ? A toll would be too expensive for most. Also the engineering would be extensive as the river bottom is mud , no bed rock to drive piles , and it would cause silting and create a delta on the upriver side of the bridge.

This country has a lot more infrastructure problems than a bridge for ex pats to get to Colonia's expensive ATM's.

Too much money has been spent not building stuff for the 2016 celebrations. A lot more has been spent dreaming up a super mega campora media skyscraper in the middle of a run down area. There is no more money in the tank left to build unecessary bridges.

Two more thoughts:

What of all the sailboat traffic on the river ? Ever look out at the river on a nice day ? There are thousands of boats racing , cruising , etc.....

Where on the Buenos Aires side would the bridge arrive ? There is no land available for the infrastructure needed for toll booths , customs booths , access roads , etc.

Hell , there is a bridge up in Entre Rios. I have crossed it several times. Yeah it takes hours to drive to Colonia. But is doable.

Back