Wife Going Home--Best Way To Get Blue Usd Rate In Salta?

Frinkiac7

Registered
My wife is going to spend a couple months back in Salta and I'm wondering what the easiest way for her to get the Blue or near-Blue rate on USD. We were originally thinking about making a stop-off as she goes through Bs.As. to change it, but she's traveling alone and isn't super keen on the idea. Also thought about trying to change it in Salta...there are always buyers around the central Plaza 9 de Julio, but neither of us have been back to visit since 2011 so we have no idea if you can get the Blue rate or how legit/safe the off-the-street game is there these days.

I thought about Xooming her money and having her pick up cash a la Western Union, but she is an Argentine citizen and I'm worried about this creating unnecessary hassle for her there. Plus, it looks like there's only one Xoom affiliate in Salta.

Anyone had experience with the best way to get the Blue rate in the interior?

If she has family in Salta, she should ask them about the local arbolitas. Usually the locals know where to change dollars at the blue rate. But I'd recommend Xoom so she doesn't have to carry a large amount of cash with her. She shouldn't get hassled using Xoom other than the usual questions they ask that everyone seems to make a big deal about on these forums, but are really no big deal. More Money seems to be the only company working with Xoom these days. If there is one in Salta, you should be fine.

We've tossed around the family idea and the reality is none of her family would have the cash/be interested. The other problem is that none of them live in Salta capital, they're all out in the deep interior where there is little use/care for dollars on a day-to-day basis. Xoom does seem like the best option. Anyone on here have any firsthand reports of taking out the cash as an Argentine citizen vs. a foreigner visiting? She has no problems with the "present DNI" etc. process, and I know that's the norm for everything down there.

If I can just Xoom money from here and she can pick it up from the local Xoom affiliate down there, that's probably the easiest way.

I can confirm that people were by and selling dollars on the corner of Plaza neuve de julio as of 2 days ago.

I saw several groups of "European" looking people changing cash and leave satisfied. Everything looked cool, its all out in the open and the guys have huge wads of pesos.

Did not personally change any bills but initial inquiry on rates was 6.5.

Hope this helps........

I can confirm that people were by and selling dollars on the corner of Plaza neuve de julio as of 2 days ago.

I saw several groups of "European" looking people changing cash and leave satisfied. Everything looked cool, its all out in the open and the guys have huge wads of pesos.

Did not personally change any bills but initial inquiry on rates was 6.5.

Hope this helps........

Good data point, thanks. Still debating on trying Xoom or just going to the plaza. Good to know that the rate on the street is pretty close to what you can get from Xoom.

I got 6.7 on the corner of the plaza a couple of weeks ago. I talked to a few locals, and they all assured me that it was safe enough to change money there.

I changed a small amount the other day, its all good, really very little to worry about on the validity scale.

The guys changing cash there are very, low impact, they did not even check my bills haha.

Biggest issue seems to be the police post up there for a minutes and stop things and then move along.

Can anyone tell me if you just changed in the open air on the street or if you ducked into a back room? All I remember from the pre-blue dollar days is that on that one side of the plaza between the peatonal and Av Espana there are a bunch of guys telling you "cambio."

What's the most you've ever changed?

Wife doesn't want to change a lot and then be carrying it around, on the other hand doesn't want to go back many times and be a familiar face and also become a potential "mark." Some kind of happy medium would be nice.

If you change anything with the arbolitos in the plaza make sure you count the pesos that they give you. Do not rely on them counting them out in front of you as some use a double folded bill to trick you.

I'm just hoping to get at least 7:1. My wife seems convinced that because "it's Salta" and outside of Bs.As. they don't pay anything close to the blue rate, I haven't been able to convince her otherwise. I guess we'll see.

Back