Wild Cat In Back Yard

RodalfoWalsh

Registered
It can't get out, let my dog chase it for a while but am not sure if it has rabies or not and don't want to risk him getting hurt. We managed to corner it and I gave it a can of raid cochroach spray point blank but it didn't appear to do anything.

Is there a animal control here I could call? I tried sticking a coat hanger in an extension cord tied to the end of a broomstick but couldn't manage to touch it and ended up tripping the breaker. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? I don't want to get too close in case it is rabid. I've been blasting it with the hose for the last couple of hours but it doesn't seem to be doing anything

Are you crazy or criminally insane?! Let it be!

Give him food, if else!

Despite what Serafina says if it is a wild or farrow cat do not feed it. If you do it will keep coming back. Seal all garbage or other source of food on your property. Make sure there is no open access to your domesticated pets food. Typically that is what they are looking for. Make sure there is no access to any food on your property and hope it goes away.

I don't want to leave it there if it might amhave rabies.

If it had rabies it would be insane and frothing at the mouth. But it can carry other unpleasant things. Just cut off food supplies and let it be. It might go away.

If it had rabies it would be insane and frothing at the mouth. But it can carry other unpleasant things. Just cut off food supplies and let it be. It might go away.
In my experience, these cats don't go away. They set up shop and mark territory (you'll smell the strong stink) if it's a male, and if it's a female, you'll have even more of them soon enough. It will attract other cats in heat. Spraying it with water, chasing it, even a dog will not keep it away.
Pensador is right though; don't feed it and clear out anything that might be attracting the animal. Anyone who advocates feeding it or avoiding the issue is perpetuating the problem. These animals lead miserable lives and end up feral, disease spreading pests and/or are owned by irresponsible idiot people.

I had this problem over several years with several cats that were feral and allowed to roam by neighbors. Once they enter my property they are a pest as far as I'm concerned. They stink up my terrace and destroy my planters. I had to cover up all my planters so they would stop using the soil as a cat-litter, and I had to constantly clean up all the crap and piss that ends up attracting competing males and females in heat. Rid yourself of the cat before you have a bigger problem.

I checked the http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar website but there doesn't seem to be any concrete answers for what to do in this case (this is infuriating - if you hurt an animal, you could be fined; on the other had, BA is absolutely unprepared or uninterested in solving the problem of animal control). I ended up building a trap; once caught I took it far far away and let it go. If it had an owner... well too bad! they should take care of their pets. I would not loose more time, money , and effort than needed. Don't torture the thing though. Catch it with a home-made pole snare, box it up and take it out to the country or something.

Back