Will the Border be closed for the rest of the year?

HAL29

Registered
I was suppose to be coming to Argentina the end of September for two months but it now looks to me at least that their is little to no chance of that. Am I right the Language School that I was suppose to be going to are telling me that they hope that thing will change but should I just cancel now or wait.

Hal...this is God speaking. I haven't decided yet. Probably where you are they know when the cure for the virus will be at hand...they know when the stores will reopen...and maybe they can tell you the exact day you will die. But here in Argentina things are just a bit up in the air. When I have made a decision I will inform you.

The only “chance” I see between 01SEP-31DEC or non-residents being allowed in would be if they undergo both testing and a 14 day quarantine in a hotel room upon arrival.

After these months in nationwide lockdown the government will be taking no chances of letting people in from “contaminated” countries lest all the sacrifice we have done to attempt to keep it under control be in vain. All it takes is one idiot to start an epidemic...

Cancellation is the best and safest option. Reassess travel plans again in 2021.

The only “chance” I see between 01SEP-31DEC or non-residents being allowed in would be if they undergo both testing and a 14 day quarantine in a hotel room upon arrival.

After these months in nationwide lockdown the government will be taking no chances of letting people in from “contaminated” countries lest all the sacrifice we have done to attempt to keep it under control be in vain. All it takes is one idiot to start an epidemic...

Cancellation is the best and safest option. Reassess travel plans again in 2021.
I don't disagree, but why not this year?

Why is January 18, 2021 a possibility, but not December 18? Or are you suggesting deeper into 2021? Like I said I don't disagree but it is yet unclear where the line is drawn. If we argue it may be drawn early next year then we must also think there's a possibility it could be drawn in November. If not, why not?

If I was to offer a predicton, I would say March 2021 may be the month when we return to a larger degree of normalcy. That would be a year on from the start of the measures. Of course, that's not factoring in many variables and assuming things progress as they currently are.

I am suggesting closed or severely restricted travel deeper into 2021. By DEC we should have a clearer idea of what it will look like. Note that no flights may be sold to or from Argentina before 01SEP - hence my SEP-DEC timeframe when "theoretically" it could be possible to book a flight.

Planning an orderly opening of borders takes time and multi-lateral discussions but most importantly a virus outbreak that is under control.

Australia PM today announced that opening international borders "is nowhere in the foreseeable future" but "likely to start travel bubble with New Zealand in late 2020."

Another hint is the airline industry globally only just starting to lay-off massive chunks of their workforce. In OCT you will see over 100,000 airline layoffs by the big-three in the US alone once the freeze is over, hit-lists have already been drawn up. They don't do that for a 4-6 month crisis.

On the other hand countries like South Korea have gone high-tech and allow in foreign travellers but only if they are tested on arrival and download a tracking app and monitor their health on it a few times a day. Apart from a few exceptions (including urgent business travel) they also need to do a 14 day quarantine. So this could make it possible this year... but that would depend on Argentina embracing technology and making sure it actually works!

Globally the virus is not slowing. There continue to be millions of active cases. People stay sick and infectious for 2-4 weeks or more. WHO continues to issue stark warnings of relapses in Europe and elsewhere. We are less than six months into the immediate health crisis, I would guess it will take at least another six months to start getting out of it.

Last edited:
I was suppose to be coming to Argentina the end of September for two months but it now looks to me at least that their is little to no chance of that. Am I right the Language School that I was suppose to be going to are telling me that they hope that thing will change but should I just cancel now or wait.

My best guess is that you would be able to travel. HOWEVER, if I were you I'd cancel and come another time. You will not have "the full experience" because life won't get close to normal this year. If you can reschedule and come another time do so.

I don't think we have to be entirely pessimistic. American Airlines is resuming flights to Spain from DFW this week. If they can operate sucessfully it will create a lot of pressure on other airlines and countries to do the same.

American Airlines Resumes Flights To Spain
Advertisement:

Dallas-based US carrier American Airlines is cautiously rolling out a limited schedule of summer flights between the USA and Europe. These include the resumption of nonstop services between Dallas Fort Worth and Madrid’s Barajas Airport this week. The flights will see American Airlines become the only carrier currently offering nonstop flights between the US and Spain.

It does not mean much, sorry I feel like the positivity police on this subject - only EU residents can travel to Spain and only US residents can travel to the US.

Arriving (I DOUBT IT!) at the beginning of December ...

Given what has been / is going on and what we all know, I can't possibly see any meaningful change to allow free movement of travelers in the back half of the year.

So ... HOPING for the best and EXPECTING the worse.

Please God, let us all wake up from this nightmare! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

With Avianca, the world second oldest airline, filing for bankruptcy, with the US (and many other developed countries) likely to get their opening up wrong and thereby needing to lockdown again, leading in turn to more fear, and even less flying, is there any good reason to assume there will even be an airline industry able to operate either within this region or between here and North America and Europe when borders open?

Back